Header Menu

Friday, May 1, 2009

91) Would-Be Witch by Kimberly Frost

The magic that has flowed through the Trask family seems to have skipped Tammy Jo. The only thing supernatural that happens to her is that she can see a long dead family ghost. The surprise visits from Edie only bring Tammy trouble and some people even think she is a little crazy. So when the heirloom that holds the family ghost is stolen, Tammy has to get her witch on and get Edie's soul back before something nasty happens.

With only a bit of experience with magic Tammy has to use what she remembers from her childhood to do what she has to do. Suddenly Tammy finds herself on a roller coaster ride in the supernatural world of Duvall, Texas and has two men fighting over her. One man is her over-protective ex and the other is on a list of men her family are warned not to go near.

When I saw this book reviewed somewhere I automatically added it to my wishlist. Not only did the story sound interesting but it has an amazing cover! So when I won a copy of this book I was over the moon and couldn't wait for it to arrive. When it did get here I couldn't stop myself from diving into it straight away and found myself addicted within a few chapters.

The stubborn but feisty Tammy was a breathe of fresh air. She reminds me a little of Stephanie Plum with some Sookie Stackhouse mixed in. The plot flowed nicely, was full of action and filled with the paranormal. Witches, Vampires and werewolves all make their appearance in this debut novel and their was even promise of more to come in the series.

The cool and sophisticated cat Mercuito makes a wonderful addition to the storyline and I am sure there is something more about that cat we have yet to learn. The main men in Tammy's life make interesting reading. Both gorgeous, both have their own special talents and both are very important to Tammy throughout the book and definitely for her future. I can see Tammy getting herself into trouble over those two!

I can't wait for Barely Bewitched, the next book coming out in the Southern Witch Series. Kimberly Frost has written something which mixes urban paranormal, romance and chick-lit and made it unique and original without even trying. I highly recommend lovers of the genre to try this one out for size. It has something for everyone.

5 comments:

Kimberly Swan said...

I really enjoyed this, and don't you just love that cover? :)

Vickie said...

This is on my wishlist, but I can't remember where I read the review either. Now I have it as recommended by you. I started doing that with books added because of you, BittenByBooks and/or Patricia's Vampire Notes

StyleVamp said...

I read this book recently and enjoyed every minute of it. There were instances that I just wanted to shake Tammy (lol) but she's a real charismatic character. The angst of the love
triangle she's in, I find myself rooting for both of them. I can't wait to read the next book and see wahts' Tammy's next adventure...

The cover art (lovin it)

LuAnn said...

Sounds like a cute book! And I love the cover.

Donna said...

I also have this book on my TBR list, and I love the cover too. The cover has a fun feel to it. Thanks for the review, reinstates why I wanted to read it. Need to move it up on my list. ;)