Header Menu

Sunday, April 18, 2010

51) Jayne Slayre by Charlotte Bronte & Sherri Browning Erwin

This literally classic with a blood-sucking twist is based on the well known book Jane Eyre. Mrs Reed and her children are vampires and Lowood school is run by a voodoo headmaster who is turning students in the walking dead. You can also expect to see a werewolf or two and Jane is of course as her name suggests, a slayer.

This is not the first classic that has been mashed up with a bit of the paranormal and I am sure it won't be the last. While I am not a fan of the classics and will admit openly that I haven't read Jane Eyre, I did find this book intriguing enough to give it a try. While I can not compare it to the original I can say that it wasn't a bad read. Sure I am not one for the historical genre but this tale did keep me reading till the very end.

Some may say that taking a classic and moving pieces around and changing bits and bobs is not writing. However I think it must be a very clever writer who can actually rewrite a story, give it a new meaning and still keep it in a good enough condition to read. This is where Jane Slayre is a success because I couldn't find a thing wrong with it.

If anything this book has now made me very curious about the original classic. I am not about to rush off and read it but I am definitely going to try and take the time to read it one day which is more than I would have done before reading Jane Slayre. If this had been around when I was in school I think I would have read both versions. Maybe this is a nice way to get the youngsters enjoying the classics?

All in all if you are a lover of the original and also a paranormal reader then you will enjoy this. How can you not? If you haven't read the classic and want to try something different then this is certainly worth taking the time to try. Now I am left waiting to see what move the author takes next. It will be interesting to see what the one living author of this book will write in the future.

No comments: