Header Menu

Monday, April 19, 2010

52) Manifest by Artist Arthur

Moving to a small Connecticut town, starting a new high school and having no friends should be enough to for any teenager to deal with but Krystal Betley is hearing voices as well. The voice of a teenage boy and he wants her to help him. The only problem is, he is dead.

Ricky Watson was killed a year ago behind the school. As a ghost he is unable to investigate his own murder so he needs Krystal to help him find out the truth. Then Krystal finds some other 'special' kids at her school and together the three of them start to discover more about their abilities as well as Ricky's murder.

Manifest is the debut book from author Artist Arthur and the first book a new Young Adult series called Mystyx. The blurb really made me curious about this one and I couldn't resist taking a peak at it in more detail. I was a little cautious at first, after all there are enough series flying around that sound just like this one. However it became clear after the first few chapters that this new author has made this story just a little different.

The mix of magic, weather and the paranormal got me really hooked on this one. I found it hard to stop reading because I needed to know what was going to happen next. A mystery plot wrapped up with ghosts and new powers seems like something you will have read before but this story really does have details that set it apart from the other paranormal Young Adult books that have been flying about lately.

Unfortunately for you all this isn't due out until August. However I am sure you can all add it to your wish lists so you don't forget about it. Well written and full of surprises this deep, dark but delicious new series is one I am going to be following.

3 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

sounds like a good one to watch out for. curious to see how weather comes into play.

PeaceLove&Pat said...

I enjoyed reading this book but I am a little turn off by Krystal at first.
Great review.

P.S
I love your playlist.
Silversun Pick up rocks!

Unknown said...

@PeaceLove - I find a lot of books are hard at the beginning. Especially when you are getting used to new characters. However I was really surprised how this one developed.

Oh and Silversun Pickups really do rock! I saw them live last year and they were amazing!