Header Menu

Thursday, May 13, 2010

64) Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris

Sookie is trying to cope with the loss of some loved ones and friends. The Faery War left its mark on her life and she is hurt and angry. The only good thing in her life is vampire Eric Northman. Their relationship is holding and even though he has some vampire problems to deal with, he is there for her and she is there for him.

However, as is usually the case for Sookie, things are about to get complicated again. The first hint of trouble starts when the Shreveport pack ask to use her land on the full moon and find traces of faery. The doors to the Otherworld have been closed but it seems some are still left behind. Then a dead body and a blast from Eric's past all find themselves tied up in the situation and before you know it Sookie is yet again in the middle of a supernatural survival of the fittest. Hopefully she will win again and not lose anyone else close to her.

The long awaited tenth Sookie book, Dead in the Family, already had me worrying who was going to die next. Was the title a hint? Is this the end of Sookie or someone close to her? You will have to read it to find out for yourselves but I will say that I was surprised that the title didn't mean as much as I thought it would.

Between old friends, newer relationships and completely new characters, this book found space for nearly everyone we have ever met and wanted to meet. There were surprises and revelations and once again Charlaine Harris has given us what we want. Another part of the tale, a continuation of the series and the hope that more is on the way.

I love this series and hate waiting a year for a new installment and with this being the tenth book isn't it about time we started getting at least a new part at least once every sixth months? I am really happy that I decided to visit the whole series again via audio otherwise I believe I would have been a little lost at times.

All in all this was another brilliant read but there was something lacking somewhere. I can't put my finger on it but something dulled the story a little. Sure there were moments of 'wow' but they were not as amazing as usual. Despite this I loved the book and grabbed it at every opportunity. Even read the last few pages while out with friends because I just had to get to the end.

Fans must buy this. There is no need to wait. Beg, borrow or steal yourself a copy because it is hard not to know what happens next in Sookie's life. Now, as the new hit of the Sookie drug wears off, I am preparing for the year long wait for the next part. Trueblood series three is only in a month and the dvd's of season 1 and 2 will help. Maybe I will even listen to Dead in the Family in a few months as well. After all the narrator always does such a great job.

No comments: