Header Menu

Saturday, September 18, 2010

126) Driven to Ink by Karen E. Olson

The Blurb -

Brett Kavanaugh is a tattoo artist and owner of Vegas's hottest tattoo shop, The Painted Lady. And in her spare time, she does some sleuthing. After discovering the corpse of a Dean Martin impersonator-sporting a spider web tattoo and a clip cord from a tattoo machine wrapped around his neck-Brett infiltrates That's Amore, a drive-through wedding chapel, as a bride-to-be looking for the mark of a murderer..

My Thoughts -

I needed something easy to read this week due to the lack of reading time. I decided a cozy mystery would be a good choice and seeing as this book had arrived in the post it was the first one I laid my hands on. The cute covers and the tattoo theme really caught my eye when I first came across this series. Since then it has been the main characters and well thought out mysteries that have kept me coming back for more.

Driven to Ink is the third book in the Tattoo Shop Mysteries and I am still enjoying this series. The whole tattoo spin on things is very interesting and the regular characters are very likable. The Las Vegas setting is somewhat apt but I am sure this series would have worked well in other locations as well. All in all this has become a must buy series for me. A definite favourite in the cozy mystery genre.

Although I have to say that this wasn't the best in the series so far. The plot, while good, was a little confusing at times. With so many players I started to lose track of who was who and what that meant in the big frame of things. Also I am a little frustrated about Brett and Jeff's relationship. I would really like to see them get together but it looks like their 'friendship' is just going to tease the reader for the foreseeable future.

As Cozy mysteries go this is a great one. Anyone who has tattoos will love the detailed in-depth workings of a tattooist. Readers who love a good cozy will find Brett to be an all round great part-time sleuth. Nosy, getting into trouble and just finding herself in the wrong place at the wrong time is what she does best and what just what a cozy reader enjoys. I just hope that the author manages to come up with a few more interesting and surprising mysteries for Brett!

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I am looking forward to getting the first in the series one of these days. The premise sounds so cool and I love Vegas.