Header Menu

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

127) The Darkest Edge of Dawn by Kelly Gay

Blurb - It takes a strong woman to keep the peace in a city of endless night. . . .

Deep beneath Underground, a cunning bid for power and revenge has begun—one that threatens to make Atlanta the new battleground in the ultimate confrontation between good and evil. The powers of hellish Charbydon have the upper hand after plunging the city into primordial night. And under the cover of darkness, a serial killer targets the most powerful Elysians in the city, the angelic Adonai.

For Detective Charlie Madigan and her siren partner Hank, tracking deadly predators is all in a day’s work . . . but this case will test the limits of their strength and friendship as it draws them into a deadly world of power plays, ancient myths, explosive secrets, and a race against time that risks all that Charlie holds dear.

What I Thought -

The Better Part of Darkness, the first book in this debut series by Kelly Gay, really impressed me. So I have been waiting for The Darkest Edge of Dawn to come along and see if the first book was a fluke. It wasn't. This second part was even better than the first. The foundations had been laid and everything looked good but now work has begun on the structure, I am really seeing how good this could get.

What really impresses me is that the lead character is not only a cop but also a mum. Too many leading ladies in the Paranormal genre are not mothers or have some problem with getting pregnant. I guess the lack of child serves its purpose in the general way of things but it can also be a little annoying. Why can't a woman kick supernatural ass and have a kid? Well this one does and she is doing a great job!

In this new release there is a lot of sexual tension between Charlie and her partner. I won't give away anything but it does make for great reading. Also the storyline with Charlie's sister and ex-husband also kept me glued to the pages. It sometimes feel like a paranormal sitcom in some sense but the book is more grown up and better written.

So Kelly Gay makes it to my must buy list. I hope the third book is coming out sooner rather than later because I don't want to forget the little details from this book that I need to remember. However the author does do a great recap so I am not too worried. Try this and be surprised! This new Urban Paranormal writer brings in some fresh and unique ideas with a whole bunch of cool supernaturals. Worth reading but make sure you start with the first book!

2 comments:

justpeachy36 said...

I have the first one in this series and I'm really looking forward to reading this one...

Kelly Gay is a great writer.

Great review!

Vickie said...

I think that's what I liked so much about the first book and made me want the second one so much...Charlie is a work out of the home mother..that she happens to be able to kick supernatural bad guy ass is a plus. It's a balancing act, but one she handles well.