Header Menu

Saturday, October 9, 2010

134) Torment by Lauren Kate

The Blurb -

Hell on earth.

That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

What I Thought -

Fallen was such a good read that I couldn't resist ordering this sequel when it came out. I looked forward to another memorable story about angels and demons but from the beginning I had a funny feeling things were not going to be as good as I expected.

I am not saying that this book was bad because it was actually well written and easy to read. However I have no idea why the story went in the direction it did. After Fallen I expected something else other than a new location with lots of new characters. I felt lost enough trying to remember what happened last time without having to navigate through all the new information about people and places that were suddenly more important.

Oh and the main characters started to annoy me a teeny weeny bit. I really want Luce to just tell Daniel to go away and for her to get on with her life. Then I didn't like Daniel much for his possessive attitude problem even though he just ups and leaves Luce somewhere and then disappears. The whole relationship is completely weird and definitely not the kind a Young Reader should think is normal.

Did I enjoy this book? Yes in a way I did. I still like the idea but the plot this time around and the changes left me a little dazed and confused. I am sure other people will say this was an amazing read but in my eyes it was just a nice normal sequel, nothing special. Of course the third part will somehow find its way to me. I doubt I will order it straight away though. Although I have till Summer next year to think about that...

No comments: