Header Menu

Monday, October 11, 2010

136) Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn

The Blurb -

When Evie Walker goes home to spend time with her dying father, she discovers that his creaky old house in Hope’s Fort, Colorado, is not the only legacy she stands to inherit. Hidden behind the old basement door is a secret and magical storeroom, a place where wondrous treasures from myth and legend are kept safe until they are needed again. The magic of the storeroom prevents access to any who are not intended to use the items. But just because it has never been done does not mean it cannot be done.

And there are certainly those who will give anything to find a way in.

Evie must guard the storeroom against ancient and malicious forces, protecting the past and the future even as the present unravels around them. Old heroes and notorious villains alike will rise to fight on her side or to undermine her most desperate gambits. At stake is the fate of the world, and the prevention of nothing less than the apocalypse.

My Thoughts -

I love Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series and really enjoyed her YA novel, Voices of Dragons. So when I saw Discord's Apple come up on my Amazon list I instantly put it on my wishlist. From the look of the blurb I knew straight away that this was going to be different. Actually it look like something I wouldn't even bother with but I love the author and wanted to give it a try anyway. However the book was always so expensive and it was only when I saw it on Audible that I finally found a price was right.

All in all the story is a mixture of fantasy and mythology. Mostly things revolve around the fall of Troy and what I guessed was a future Earth where life is full of war. The storyline was very interesting and captured my attention straight away. Things were quite slow at times and I did find myself a little frustrated but the story picked up after a while and it gave me a reason to finish listening. I wanted to know what happened and how everything fitted together.

The author has an impressive imagination and Discord's Apple shines with it. My only problem with this book was that I listened to it on Audio. The narrators were good but the story kept switching and changing from the past and future as well from character to character and most of the time I didn't notice the change as it was very subtle. This was quite confusing at times and I really wish now that I had read this.

A nice book, not one I will be recommending to friends but certainly one worth checking out if you are a fan of the author or like Greek Mythology. I appreciate this one for what it is and hope others will too. I really liked the main character and was very impressed by the whole idea. This is a book I would usually read but it is one that I won't forget due to the original well thought out story.

No comments: