Header Menu

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

154) The Wild's Call by Jeri Smith-Ready

The Blurb -

It is seven years after the collapse of modern civilization, and the world is entering a new Dark Age. Can best friends Elysia and Darien trust the animal spirits that are beckoning them to escape into the wilderness and create a new way of life? And will they give in to the mutual passion they've always denied?

My Thoughts -

The Wild's Call is a prequel story set in the same world as Jeri Smith-Ready's Aspect of Crow trilogy and is a free read only available on Kindle. So one of the first things I did when I got my Kindle was download this story. Jeri is one of my favourite authors and I have been wondering about this short story for a while and decided to give it a go this morning.

I was a little confused at first because this story isn't set in the world we know. This really is a prequel. A before it all happened. A start and a little taste of what is to come. This novella was over too quickly but I know that anyone who has read the series will appreciate this story for what it is. A good piece of writing and a quick look at how things started.

How Jeri managed to get so much information and feeling into such a small amount of words is beyond me. However it just goes to show how great a writer she really is. I will have a little moan about the ending. I was expecting just a little bit more. Maybe another paragraph or two but it was really over and it didn't matter how many times I tried to 'turn the page' there wasn't anything left to read.

I hope that one day Jeri will revisit this series and expand on it but for now I am happy to read everything and anything else she writes. If you don't have a Kindle to read this story then maybe think about downloading Kindle for the PC and read it that way. I should have done that a long time ago but I was being stubborn about reading things on the computer. This short story is worth spending a little time at the screen reading but if you have a Kindle already you really need to look this one up.

2 comments:

Karen said...

This is my all time favorite series and the sequel is just as good!

Unknown said...

The aspect of crow trilogy are my favorite books ever!!! i got this one for my kindle too, but havent had a chance tp read it yet... I wanna do a re-read of all the books soon! LOVE it! Great review!