Header Menu

Saturday, January 1, 2011

1) Hellforged by Nancy Holzner

The Blurb -

After Vicky banished her demon nemesis to the fiery depths of Hell, she thought life would return to normal. But considering she has a werewolf lawyer boyfriend, a zombie apprentice who’s angling to become a pop star, and an eccentric vampire roommate, what is normal, anyway?

Then the supposedly banished Hellion starts to trespass in Vicky’s dreams—just as several of Deadtown’s zombies are viciously attacked and become really dead. When Vicky realizes she’s the only connection between the victims, she suspects that the demon is somehow working through her dreams to become Deadtown’s living nightmare.

What she doesn’t know is that her old enemy brings with it a force more terrifying—and deadly—than anything she’s battled before.

My Review -

Ever since I read Nancy Holzner's debut book, Deadtown, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the sequel. Unfortunately anyone who, like myself, enjoyed the first book, has had to wait a year to find out what happened next and to see if the first book was just a fluke. Hellforged was worth the wait but I have to say I don't want to wait as long for the third part.

Hellforged continues from where Deadtown left us. Vicky is back at work and things seem fine until her watch goes missing and a zombie meets his final death. Then all manner of things start to happen but right bang in the middle of it all Vicky has to go off to Wales and visit her aunt. Something isn't right in the world of the paranormals and Vicky has to try and stop it.

I really do like this series so far. It has a kick-ass heroine and great supporting characters. The paranormal element is different enough to make it stand out amongst the many other Urban Fantasy books out there and it has a depth to it that not many authors manage to achieve. What really makes this series special for me is the Welsh angle. This is something I already mentioned in my review for Deadtown but have to repeat because it really does make this one that little bit extra special for me.

This time around I was impressed with the story line and the way things came together. The expansion on the Welsh mythology and the way it worked into the story was quite interesting. Getting to meet Vicky's aunt was something I hoped would come along in the last book and loved visiting her this time around. I hope we get to see more of this character as well as the other characters that have been along for the ride so far.

All in all I am impressed and excited about this series. As I mentioned I really don't want to wait for the next part in this series. Why? Well there was a matter or two that wasn't cleared up in this book and I really want to know what happens. Publishers should not make us wait a whole year for more books in a series. Torture!

That aside, read this book and the first book Deadtown. A wide range of paranormals and a fast paced spectacular story awaits you. Nancy Holzner is definitely an author to watch and with this second book she has secured her place on my must read list.

*** Would you like to win a copy of Hellforged? Nancy Holzner is my author guest this week and she is giving away a copy to one lucky commentor! Read the Guest Blog and Enter the Contest by Sunday! ***

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amberkatze! Not entering the contest but just wanted to stop by as it's been a while, and I loved your interview with Jess Haines, btw -- this was a great review, and I recently picked up "Hellforged" at my local bookshop, and so far, it's a rollicking good read!

Great review!
Darkeva