Header Menu

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

26) Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

The Blurb -

The longing.

Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

The loss.

Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being human.

The linger.

For Grace, Sam and Cole, life is a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is narrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?

My Thoughts -

Linger is the second book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series and I am still not sure if I really like this series or not. So much of the story feels like Twilight that I keep expecting some vampires to jump out from the woods.

If I was younger I am sure I would love this series and would be able to identify with it on a lot of levels. However being older and wiser I feel this series may just be giving the wrong idea to the young adults reading these books. With guys running around naked, youngsters doing whatever they want, parents ignoring their children and many other screwed up situations I wonder if the author is setting a good example.

In Shiver I had a problem with Grace's parents leaving her alone all the time. Suddenly in Linger her parents start showing an interest in Grace's life. A little too much too late if you ask me. But with Grace and Sam being so lovey dovey all the time I really understand her parents putting their foot down. Even if they need some lessons on how to be better parents.

The addition of Cole was an interesting twist to the story but as I listened to the book I just kept waiting for something exciting to happen. While the story has enough chat to keep me listening there was a severe lack of action. Hardly anything really happens in this book and it wasn't until the last few chapters that things really got interesting. Then it was the end.

I am sure that I will be listening to book number three in the series when it comes out. I am kind of intrigued to see where things go and what happens next. On the other hand I find Grace annoying and Sam a bit of a loser. It is an understatement to say that I am extremely confused about this series :)

No comments: