Header Menu

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

66) Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

The Blurb :

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol.

My Thoughts :

Somewhere in the middle of listening to Hunger Games I already downloaded the next book. There was no question about it. This author had come up with something unusual, unique and inspiring. So it was no wonder that when Hunger Games was over that I had to start Catching Fire. I had to stay with Katniss and find out what happened next. What could possibly happen in the next book?

Things started off a little slow and I wondered if the author had lost her touch. Maybe Hunger Games was a one off wonder. Then the story started to get interesting and move along a bit more and I have to admit I wasn't sure which direction things were going to end up going. Whichever way they went I was with Katniss all the way.

Sadly I thought most of the story then turned out to be a bit predictable. I really didn't like having to go through the games again and I was scared at how this round would end. Knowing there is a third and last book helped satisfy my fear that Katniss was going to lose but I really didn't want anyone else to lose either! How was the story going to save her this time? I had no idea but it would have to be believable and good.

The end was fast and furious. I may even have to go back and listen to the last 30 mins again because I am sure I missed some details. There was a great cliffhanger ending and I am pretty sure that I will actually just start book three now and get things over and done with. I really need to know what happens next!

A brilliant second book in the trilogy but definitely not as awe inspiring and breathtaking as the first. What comes in books three is a mystery to me but I am pretty sure I am going to enjoy it.

As with the first book, this was a well read audio and I am really happy I am listening to them all. The narrator really does a super job and I can highly recommend checking these out if you like audios. On a side note...when I read Hunger Games I did think 'This would make a cool film'. Well it seems it is already in production. I can't wait to see how they do the 'girl on fire'.

1 comment:

Aurian said...

A nice review Amber, but this series still does not appeal to me.