Header Menu

Saturday, June 11, 2011

80) A Touch of Gold by Joyce Lavene & Jim Lavene

The Blurb :

Long before he became curator of the Duck Historical Museum, Max Caudle discovered its greatest treasure-a wooden chest full of gold. But a thief with his eye on the gold fires a cannonball into the museum, destroying the building-and killing Max.

Injured in the explosion, Dae finds her abilities have been amplified, overwhelming her with intense visions every time she touches an object. Now if ex-FBI agent-and burgeoning beau-Kevin Brickman can help Dae decipher her visions, she just might be able to stop the modern-day buccaneer from killing again.

My Thoughts :

I love the paranormal genre but sometimes I need a little break. So a nice cozy mystery here and there does take the edge off things and I was looking forward to reading the second part in the Missing Pieces Mysteries. The first book, A Timely Version, was a great debut and I couldn't wait to see what happened next.

A Touch of Gold turned out to be even better than the first book. This isn't always the case after such a good debut but I was extremely surprised at how the storyline developed and got even stronger and exciting than before. First came the explosive beginning but then the development in Dae's powers made things extremely interesting. Combine this with a few older mysteries being solved eg, Dae's dad, this book really had me hooked and was read within record time.

So much history, detail and depth makes this cozy series really stand out. The characters are very likable and things aren't over the top. The location sounds lovely and have to admit I like the idea of a place like Duck. Pirate ghosts, a community that help each other and a bit of action now and again (even if it is a murder...) really does sound like a nice place to grow up.

There is a touch of the paranormal in this cozy mystery series and that makes even more special for me. One to try if you need a break for the full on paranormal genre and if you like a good mystery. With a good amount of action and a nice leading lady this is a mystery that keeps you guessing till the end. Now I am really excited about book #3. Could this series get even better?

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I really liked the first one, too. Very good to know that this one is even better. I, too, want to live in this community. That's the mark of a good book or series, when I fall in love with town as much as the characters or the mystery.

Aurian said...

I've put this series on my wishlist when I read your review of the first book a while back. And now the second book! I've got to get myself some more reading time.