Header Menu

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

90) Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson

The Blurb :

Once upon a time there was a girl who was special.

This is not her story.

Unless you count the part where I killed her.

Sixteen-year-old Alison has been sectioned in a mental institute for teens, having murdered the most perfect and popular girl at school. But the case is a mystery: no body has been found, and Alison's condition is proving difficult to diagnose. Alison herself can't explain what happened: one minute she was fighting with Tori -- the next she disintegrated. Into nothing. But that's impossible. Right?

My Review :

I read the blurb a few times before I finally decided to read this book. It was the 'disintegrated' bit that had me wondering and Alison's condition that made me want to read this. What could be wrong with Alison and how on Earth can someone disintegrate into nothing? I had to tame my curiousity and give this one a try.

Within a few chapters I was slightly hooked. I think the appearance of Dr Faraday and Alison's diagnosis really had me completely engrossed. The strange and interesting characters kept me reading and Alison's quirky ways and relationship with her family had me wondering what would happen next. I couldn't wait to see if Alison really did have something to do with Tori disappearing. Was the girl really dead? Where was she if she wasn't dead? Who was Dr Faraday really?

However as my questions started to get answered my 'what the hell' questions started to appear. I have often been surprised by twists in the story, the sting in the tale but this one, well it takes the prize for most unusual, silly and worst ending I think I have ever read. While I had an inkling where things were going I didn't expect things to go that weird. After the amazing story, build up and wonderful writing that definitely wasn't expected and it kind of ruined the whole book for me.

All things considered this story starts off really well. It actually continues to be an exceptionally good read until the last few chapters. Then for some reason the author goes off in a completely other direction. It is almost as if another author came along and wrote the end because the other one couldn't be bothered. All that fantastic plot ruined. I was left confused. It was a shame it ended that way.

If you like surprises, want to read something that really makes you think and don't mind things that are a little 'out there' then 'Ultraviolet' is for you. Don't like surprises and strange twists? Then stay away. Due out in September. Maybe just check it out because it is really well written and special?

1 comment:

Aurian said...

What a bummer, to get an ending that makes you dislike the book. Hope the next one will be a great one again.