Header Menu

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

98) Vision Impossible by Victoria Laurie

The Blurb :

Abby Cooper, the FBI's newest Civilian Profiler, is adding Spy to her resume. The military's digital photography software that captures one's aura- just like Abby can-sits in a drone aircraft that's been stolen. It's a major breach in security as every country's leader can be identified by their aura...

Abby springs into action to stop the criminals before they set their diabolical plan into motion, while making herself a prime target.

My Review :

I can't believe this is Psychic Eye Mystery #9. I have been following this series for years and have always enjoyed the mysteries. However this book, while ok, wasn't the best and wasn't what I was expecting. I think this series is going in a direction that may not to be everyone's liking and I am not sure what to think of it.

So what was wrong with this one? Well in the previous book Abby started working with the FBI. This was great and definitely an angle I hoped to see explored more. It was interesting and she was still helping solve the kind of crimes she had always managed to get mixed up in as an amateur sleuth. However in this new book she is helping the CIA and playing spy. A huge leap and not something that suited her at all.

So nice Abby part time psychic, part time sleuth is now a spy and running around like she is in some kind of Bourne type thriller book instead of a cozy mystery. It was weird and although I admit some of the story was fun it was way over the top even for a cozy. I couldn't relate with Abby anymore and she didn't really use her abilities for much more than winning a poker game.

Disappointing in some aspects but also still well written. The plot did keep me reading and the ending surprised me but all in all I felt like I was reading the first in a new series and not the ninth part of a well established cozy. Of course I will be reading the next book because I don't want to give up on Abby yet. Hopefully in book #10 she will go back home and we can see more of the regular characters I have come to know and love while doing some good at the FBI.

3 comments:

Aurian said...

Sorry that you are disappointed by the new storyline. I still have to start reading the series though

Unknown said...

Well I hope you get to start it soon!

Diane P said...

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I really didn't care for this book. It is a DNF for me. I have loved the other books in the series. I liked Abby better as a cozy mystery with some paranormal-that is the story line I was expecting-not a spy-thriller.

Instead of an automatic buy for me, I will have to wait & see on the next one.