Header Menu

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

111) To The Moon and Back by Jill Mansell

The Blurb :

When Ellie Kendall tragically loses her husband she feels her life is over. But eventually she’s ready for a new start – at work, that is. She doesn’t need a new man when she has a certain secret visitor to keep her company...

Zack McLaren seems to have it all, but the girl he can’t stop thinking about won’t give him a second glance. If only she’d pay him the same attention she lavishes on his dog.

Moving to North London, Ellie meets neighbour Roo who has a secret of her own. Can the girls sort out their lives? Guilt is a powerful emotion, but a lot can happen in a year in Primrose Hill...

My Review :

A long long long time ago before I discovered books filled with vampires, werewolves and other paranormal delights, I used to read other books. A good mystery or thriller maybe even a chick-lit. It depended really on the mood I was in. However lately those genres have been a thing of the past but every now and again I feel like a change and when my favourite chick-lit author, Jill Mansell, brings out a new book I still have to get hold of a copy and read it. Her stories are just too good to not read.

To The Moon and Back is another reason to love Jill Mansell. Filled with emotions that you can either relate to or just sympathise with, her stories tell tales that can and do happen in real life. Her characters don't need time to grow on you because you can't help but adore them within a few pages of meeting them. They are the friends, family and workmates you already feel you have known for years. I nearly stayed up all night reading this one because I felt so at home with the characters.

One thing I really liked about this book and Jill's other books is the 'real' story feel they have to them. Sure there are the usual chick-lit clichés but Jill Mansell manages to surprise the reader by twisiting things around a bit. Being allowed to share the hardest part of Ellie's life is certainly a roller coaster ride of emotions but you just know that things are going to turn out ok in the end.

The way this author weaves her plots together to come to an amazing, if not, teary end, can only be admired. You will laugh and cry while reading this but it will be one of the most amazing pieces of chick-lit you ever read. Oh and the best bit. This is British! Totally lovely and British and not over the top. Jill Mansell remains my favourite chick-lit author who can get me away from the paranormal.

To The Moon and Back released in the UK back in February. The US version is due to be released next month.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I love this quote from you, "A long long long time ago before I discovered books filled with vampires, werewolves and other paranormal delights, I used to read other books." I can so relate. I do read something else every now and then. This sounds good too.

Aurian said...

I used to read Jill Mansell in Dutch (my sister keeps buying them), but when I discovered English books I never really looked back. But I always enjoyed them a lot, so not sure why I don't pick on up in English.