Header Menu

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

136) My Lunatic Life by Sharon Sala

The Blurb :

She plays for Team Spirit.High school senior Tara Luna's got all the usual teen problems: a new school, her attraction to a hunky guy, feuds with the Mean Girls, being regarded as an oddball outsider-PLUS she has psychic powers, a duo of protective, meddlesome ghosts AND an angry, threatening teen girl ghost who wants Tara to solve her murder-or else.Now you know why she calls this "my lunatic life."

My Review :

I have never come across this author before but after looking her up I see that Sharon Sala has quite a lot of published books already under her belt. Which is no wonder if My Lunatic Life is anything to go by. As far as I can tell this is the authors first Young Adult novel but you wouldn't be able to tell. She manages to keep things clean, fun and exciting. I have to say I loved this book!

Although this is a Young Adult book it could also be a nice cozy mystery. With two ghosts to help her and psychic abilities, Tara has all the makings of an amateur sleuth and she proves herself in this debut. I loved Tara instantly and found her witty and totally different to your usual teenie characters. Definitely more grown-up, intelligent and not one of those 'constantly getting into trouble' characters. It was all quite refreshing.

The concept was great and it reminded me a lot of Victoria Laurie's books. This was a good mixture of the Psychic Eye and Ghost Hunter mysteries but aimed at older teens. The writing style was totally cozy mystery and the characters were all fun to get to know. I seriously can't wait to get together with them again.

Before rounding up I have to say that the only thing that put me off this book was the cover. It looks very childish which doesn't reflect well on the actual story inside which is, as I already mentioned, quite grown-up. Also the school uniform was never mentioned and I am pretty sure Tara didn't wear one. So why does the model on the cover look like she has one on? My Lunatic Life is a 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' candidate!

I read this in one day and enjoyed it right till the end. Then I was sad to see it was over and actually wanted to read it again. Although I am not rushing out to check out any other Sharon Sala books I am definitely going to be reading more books in this series. Tara is the kind of girl you wished you were way back when. Oh and this is also a great book to share with that young lady in your life so you have something to chat about.

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Nice review Amber. Sharon Sala also writes under a different name. Can't remember it at the moment though.

Regina Shiderly said...

Dinah McCall. :) Great review, and this book is currently free on Amazon.com as ebook.