Header Menu

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

6)Wild Wild Death by Casey Daniels

The Blurb :

Her job has been cut, she's low on cash, and her detective sometime-boyfriend refuses to even talk about her ability to see the dead and solve their murders. So Pepper is most certainly down for a vacation to get her spirits up. But when her cute scientist friend Dan is kidnapped, Pepper soon stumbles upon another deadly mystery that brings her to New Mexico. And she's after a clever murderer—one whose idea of Boot Hill has nothing to do with Jimmy Choo.

My Review :

Pepper Martin and me go back a long way. I have enjoyed every book in the series and Casey Daniels has been on my must read and must pre-order list since I read the first Pepper story all those years ago. So when this one appeared on my Kindle I knew I would have to read it as soon as possible. The way things were left in book #7 meant that Pepper was up for some hard changes in her life. I couldn't wait to see what she got up to this time.

As plots and stories go 'Wild Wild Death' was first class. While I have enjoyed each and every book in the series this one really was an amazing read and some how far better than all the previous books. Pepper seemed more grown up somehow and less moan and groan. She got on with things and pieced together the mystery as quickly as possible with what she had to go on.

This time around Pepper found herself going a little further away from home and I loved having a new location. This is the second book in the few weeks that I have read where the mystery has to do with Native Americans but to be honest I kind of like the history and tales surrounding it. The author mixed it into the story well and kept the theme light and didn't take the focus away from the star.

Also Pepper gets a new love interest in this eight book. I wasn't expecting it and I don't think she was but it was nice to see her finally getting a little action with no big problems. The relationship didn't end how I expected but I am pretty sure it won't be the last we hear of it. Actually the ending of this book was pretty cool in some ways and yet again I am left looking forward to the next installment.

I love this series and it has to be one of my favourite Paranormal Cozy Mysteries. The story is always well written and exciting while the characters are like old friends you enjoy meeting up with when possible. The ghosts are always fun and the stories always have a slight humour to them as well as some serious sleuthing and action.

A series definitely worth reading but if you haven't tried the series yet you should start at the beginning. You could ruin some on-going Pepper history if you don't read the other books first. If you already met and loved Pepper then you shouldn't wait too long to get this new addition to the series. It is very wild and one of the best yet!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

This is one of my favorite series, too. Pepper is so much fun to read about. I'd love to have her as a friend. And her abilities are just nifty.

Aurian said...

This series has been on my wishlist for a long time now. I hope to get to it this year, finally!