Header Menu

Thursday, May 3, 2012

65) Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig

The Blurb :

Miriam Black knows when you will die. She’s foreseen hundreds of car crashes, heart attacks, strokes, and suicides.

But when Miriam hitches a ride with Louis Darling and shakes his hand, she sees that in thirty days Louis will be murdered while he calls her name. Louis will die because he met her, and she will be the next victim.

No matter what she does she can’t save Louis. But if she wants to stay alive, she’ll have to try.

My Review :

All hail Chuck Wendig! I am not even sure I can do this book justice with a review. Wow! Seriously WOW!! I had a feeling this one was going to be good. The blurb didn't give away too much but it made me feel like that this could be one of the best books I would read this year. The cover was just too special for words and I couldn't resist it very long. I had to have it.

Within the first couple of pages I was well and truly hooked. I read this book in a day and it was a day full of other things but all I could think about was reading this book. Miriam caught me by surprise with her foul mouth, strangeness and unusual ability but her story telling and the events that take place in this book just left me hungry for more.

A lot of people will be put off by the bad language and the blood but I found it to be fresh and real. Chuck Wendig isn't trying to make friends with this book by pussyfooting around the way people in Miriam's situation would react. He tells it like he believes it would be and I totally love him for it. There is a depth and darkness in this book that may not agree with some people but if you make it past the first few chapters then you will enjoy the ride till the end and want to get back on for a second go.

This is Urban Fantasy as it should be. Raw, special and written with feeling. If I had the second book I would have read it by now. I can't believe how good this story was. Once again, All Hail Chuck Wendig! Hopefully he has some more of this greatness up his sleeve.

1 comment:

Sharon Stogner said...

wow, I think I need to read this one :) thanks for sparking my interest!