Header Menu

Friday, June 8, 2012

82) Blackwood by Gwenda Bond

The Blurb :

On Roanoke Island, the legend of the 114 people who mysteriously vanished from the Lost Colony hundreds of years ago is just an outdoor drama for the tourists, a story people tell. But when the island faces the sudden disappearance of 114 people now, an unlikely pair of 17-year-olds may be the only hope of bringing them back.

Miranda, a misfit girl from the island’s most infamous family, and Phillips, an exiled teen criminal who hears the voices of the dead, must dodge everyone from federal agents to long-dead alchemists as they work to uncover the secrets of the new Lost Colony. The one thing they can’t dodge is each other.

My Review :

Blackwood is a book I doubt I would have read if it hadn't have been on offer on Netgalley. I was tempted by the book many times before I actually took the plunge and requested a copy. I liked the cover and the blurb sounded interesting but I wasn't sure if I was ready to invest in another new author or new series.

I have to admit that I don't know much about the subject of Roanoke Island or the legends surrounding it. I know there was something about it in an episode of Supernatural but the actually full story was unknown to me. However it did pique my interest and I decided to see what the author had come up with.

At first I wasn't sure if I was actually going to keep reading till the end. The first few chapters were hard going and I felt like I was missing an awful lot of information. I even wondered if this was a sequel because of the jumps the story kept taking. Mostly what threw me was the 'relationship' between the two main characters, Miranda and Phillips. They acted like they knew each other so well but no mention of how they met came up until later in the story. It left me slightly put off but once I felt the pieces come together I got into the plot and wanted to see what angle the author was going to take to 'solve the mystery' of the island.

The plot was in fact quiet good. The writer obviously thought things out and didn't go into this area blind. The details and ideas even had me looking up the place and the history after I finished the book and I can't say I do that very often. The ending was a little rushed for my liking but it all panned out really nicely and I don't regret taking the time to read this book.

Gwenda Bond has talent and I hope that it grows as she continues to write books. For a debut this wasn't half bad and even if there were a few rocky patches and little near misses in the story I am sure they will improve with time. I would recommend this to any Young Readers who like history or Supernatural. This is the kind of story they would definitely enjoy. I will keep my eye on this author and will keep a look out for what she delivers next. I am quite curious to see where her talent will take her.

Blackwood releases in September. Make sure you add it to your wishlist or 'do not forget' list!



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


No comments: