Header Menu

Friday, July 20, 2012

104) Hearts of Fire by Kira Brady

The Blurb :

She’s the heiress to Seattle’s most powerful shifter clan. Her destiny is as controlled and certain as moonrise. However, from the moment Alice Corbette encounters the man known as Brand, she will defy all constraint and break every rule to make this dragon-shifter hers. Brand is determined to repay the clan leader he owes his life to. But one taste of Alice’s exquisite spirit will make him question his loyalty—and plunge them both into the middle of a ruthless power play. Their only chance at freedom is a gamble that could risk the future of humans and shifters alike.

My Thoughts :

This prequel novella to a new series was pretty much over before it began. Hearts of Fire introduces a world that will be expanded upon in the The Deadglass Trilogy. The first book, Hearts of Darkness, releases in August and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the idea of releasing a novella to get a taste of things before diving in at the deep end.

However I am not sure if my visit to this new world was a good one. The story takes place over 100 years before the series begins and I don't think that it gave me a good enough idea about how things will look in the first length novel. Although I have to say I did like the authors style and the world building was subtle but offered enough information to make the short story readable. What I didn't like was the speed at which the story unfolded. This is always a problem with novellas and the author fell into the trap and had her characters fall in love way too quickly.

Will I be checking out this new series? My interest has certainly been piqued but I am still not sure. I hoped that this novella would give me a 'wow' or a 'duh' feeling but I am left unsure. I think the historical angle may have put me off and would have preferred a story set in the present day instead. That said I am still extremely interested and may just pick up Hearts of Darkness someday.

No comments: