Header Menu

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

117) Dragon Justice by Laura Anne Gilman

The Blurb :

In my time with PUPI, formally known as Private, Unaffiliated Paranormal Investigations, I've seen a lot. Learned a lot. And not all of it's been good. But what we do—make people accountable for crimes committed with magic—is important work.

Still. Even I need to take a break every now and again. Or so I've just been told (ordered).

So hey, vacation. Maybe I'll finally figure out what's going on with the "special bond" between me and the boss man, Benjamin Venec. Venec seems to like that idea—he's invited me down to join him on a jaunt to Philly. But no sooner do I arrive in the City of Brotherly Love than we're called in to look at a dead body.

And that's when life gets really complicated

My Thoughts :

I have been following this series since the beginning and couldn't resist this fourth book in the series. I am a huge fan of CSI, Bones and various other crime investigations series so this concept of a paranormal version really spoke to me. So far I have enjoyed the books, the authors style and the world she has built and Dragon Justice was no exception.

Things started off great. I managed to get back into the feel of things pretty easy and of course being set in Manhattan I felt a little at home. Memories of my trip there a few weeks ago meant I could picture the places a little better and totally understood the meaning of long walking times, smelly subway trips etc. I also felt relaxed with Bonnie. She is a really nice easy going character who doesn't feel the need to blurt out a long string of feelings all the time. It is refreshing to have a character who just gets things done.

However the plot this time around was a bit all over the place. The first part of the book concentrated on Bonnie trying to find a girl. Then suddenly she was in Philadelphia. Now the first part of the story, for me, wasn't completely finished. The second part of the story seemed to be made out of two smaller stories. It all started to get a little confusing and seeing as the version I had didn't even show the chapters or breaks between the changes of perspective it was extremely hard to keep track of everything.

Despite that it was a very good read. The author has a super imagination and you can expect, as the title suggests, dragons as well as other faeries popping up in this book. There is also a nice love interest for Bonnie. Finally. Oh and a few little surprises. Also 'Wren' pops up in this book a lot. Now I still haven't read the Retrievers series but I really need to check out Wren some more. She is pretty cool.

I heard that this fourth book is apparently the last in the series and no more books have been contracted. The author left the series pretty much wide open though so there could be, and should be, more to come. Even though this isn't one of my top favourite series it is still one I thoroughly enjoy. I wouldn't be against a few more books about Bonnie.



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


1 comment:

Aurian said...

Nice review, another series on my wishlist. Glad to know it is still going strong.