Header Menu

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

131) Clean by Alex Hughes

The Blurb :

I used to work for the Telepath’s Guild before they kicked me out for a drug habit that wasn’t entirely my fault. Now I work for the cops, helping Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino put killers behind bars. My ability to get inside the twisted minds of suspects makes me the best interrogator in the department. But the normals keep me on a short leash.

When the Tech Wars ripped the world apart, the Guild stepped up to save it. But they had to get scary to do it—real scary. Now the cops don’t trust the telepaths, the Guild doesn’t trust me, a serial killer is stalking the city—and I’m aching for a fix. But I need to solve this case. Fast. I’ve just had a vision of the future: I’m the next to die.

My Review :

I am not a huge sci-fi fan when it comes to books but the blurb for Clean seemed like it could be something good. I decided to take a chance on this debut and within a few chapters I was hooked. Clean turned out to be futurustic but to my relief it is not the over the top 'everyone has a robot' kind. It was actually a thrilling mystery which involves telepathy, addiction, a lack of computers and some flying cars. I loved it!

Clean is the first in the Mindspace Investigations series and therefore the book has some world building to do. The author handled this pretty good and even though I was eager to find out more information about the world and how it worked, it was nice to have some dropped in here and there instead of having it all dumped on me at the beginning.

Thhere was a lot of information to take in and this is nothing new for a series debut. The mindspace telepathy angle was sometimes confusing and needed some lengthly explanations. Then the Tech Wars and the dark Atlanta background also needed a lot of attention. However the main character, who doesn't give his name away until the end, also has a background of addiction and torment to share with the reader.

The serial killer plot was an interesting one. It weaved its way into the main characters life making it not only personal but important. The story also helped explain quite a bit of the background you need to more deeply understand the original world and bunch of characters the author has created.

Clean is quite spectacular and I am in awe. There are so many established series and authors out there who have managed to come up with some wild and wonderful ideas which make you wonder if there could ever be more out there. Clean shows that there is more. There is still unique, special and exciting books out there. I can't wait for part two.

*** Alex Hughes is my author guest this week!
Check out the Guest Blog and enter the contest! ***

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

No comments: