Header Menu

Saturday, November 17, 2012

153) Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

The Blurb :

Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined.And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or inhumans.

Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed.

No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on.

My Thoughts :

I have been following the Chicagoland Vampires since the beginning and this 6th part in the series was a pre-order book. However for some reason it got lost in the mass of books I have on my Kindle and I only just got to it now. I spent a week digging away at it and not making much progress but today I finished the second half with no problem.

So you could say that Biting Cold had a slow start. However in reality the action practically jumped out in front of Merit and Ethan as soon as the book started. Despite the magic, new character and some interesting facts I wasn't feeling the cool vibe I usually got from this series. It took me a while to realise why.

It has been a while since book 4 and 5. Now if you haven't read this series yet or at least not this far, you may want to skip this paragraph. So it has been a while and in book 4 we lost Ethan. It was sad it sucked and book 5 saw Merit getting on with things, grieving but getting on with things. Now in book 6 we have Ethan back. Hooray for inventive story lines and plots. So my problem? The back to basics. Back to the 'does he like me?' stuff that we did all the way through books 1 to 4. I expected them both to be all over each other every spare moment. But no. Bleh.

While this was off putting for me the story did reach some point about halfway in where I didn't care so much for the relationship stuff anymore and just wanted to find out what all the angel business was about. Yes another author has added angels to the series. It seems to be the done thing these days. Angels are the new vampire.

All in all this was an interesting continuation of the series and the ending has once again has left me eager to see what happens next. ChicagoLand Vampires is a definite must read and has some very interesting elements and characters. Even with my lack of enthusiasm at the beginning of the book I did enjoy, what has become, a familiar place and atmosphere.

This series will not continue to be on my pre-order list but it is one I will keep following. Why won't I pre-order again? If I managed to forget about it for a few months and then struggle with it I don't see the need to rush out and get a copy next time.

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

2 comments:

Diane said...

Like you the relationship yoyo got me a little ticked...so I'm hoping that this is the last time we have this situation or my love for this series will be truly tested.

Aurian said...

Sorry you are disappointed, but yes, that relationship stuff sounds boring.