Header Menu

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

6) Alchemystic by Anton Strout

The Blurb :

Alexandra Belarus is a struggling artist living in New York City, even though her family is rich in real estate, including a towering Gothic Gramercy Park building built by her great-great-grandfather. But the truth of her bloodline is revealed when she is attacked on the street and saved by an inhumanly powerful winged figure. A figure who knows the Belarus name…

Lexi’s great-great-grandfather was a Spellmason—an artisan who could work magic on stone. But in his day, dark forces conspired against him and his, so he left a spell of protection on his family. Now that Lexi is in danger, the spell has awoken her ancestor’s most trusted and fearsome creation: a gargoyle named Stanis.

Lexi and Stanis are equally surprised to find themselves bound to each other. But as they learn to work together, they realize that only united can they save the city they both love…

My Thoughts :

Alchemystic is the first book in the Spellmason Chronicles and a new series for author Anton Strout. The cover looked great and the blurb sounded good, I couldn't wait to try it. However as it is with so many books and so little time, I only got around to curling up with this one two months after it was released. Worth the wait? I am not sure.

I like gargoyles or at least I have really liked the stories I have read about them so far. So I went into this one with a lot of hope and expectations. There is a lack of these Supernaturals in the Urban Fantasy genre and I have been secretly hoping something would come along and make me say WOW! Unfortunately I didn't find myself doing that with Alchemystic.

To start off I didn't really like the main character Lexi. She came across a lot younger than she is supposed to be and she also had a habit of making rookie stupid mistakes that made me roll my eyes more than once. She came across as a spoilt rich girl and her moaning about having to work for the family firm was just slap worthy. If she didn't have a cool gargoyle and powers I am sure I would have given up on her.

Stanis the gargoyle, even if limited by only being able to go out at night, should have had more time telling his story. The majority of chapters were told from Lexi's perspective and a few here and there were from the stand point of Stanis. Yes he didn't have his memories at the beginning but it would have been nice to 'wake up' with him. The author did his best but there was certainly room for exploration. Although maybe that will come in the next book.

Other than the main characters there were two side kick friends. Lexi doesn't seem to be able to do much without her 'crew' and I wondered why they hadn't just moved into the big house with her. They were nice enough though and I enjoyed their interaction. I wondered more than once if they are secretly a couple or will eventually become a couple. It would certainly be interesting to see Lexi play third wheel to that.

As for the story, it was good. I liked the New York setting and the author seemed to know his way about. Although I am not sure if nobody would notice a Gargoyle flying around the Manhattan skyline. The whole idea was well thought out and I found it very interesting. One thing that can be said about this series debut is that it was original. Spellmasons and Gargoyles are different and fascinating subjects.

Despite my problems with Lexi I have to admit she shows promise. I am curious to see how things will continue for all involved but I am not curious enough to rush out and buy a sequel. It will be one of those books that goes on my wishlist for a rainy day. Nice read, could take it or leave it but I will be back to visit again sometime in the future.

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

No comments: