Header Menu

Thursday, May 30, 2013

75) Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson

The Blurb :

Born the only female in an all male race, Jessica McClain isn’t just different—she’s feared.

After living under the radar for the last twenty-six years, Jessica is thrust unexpectedly into her first change, a full ten years late. She wakes up and finds she’s in the middle of a storm. Now that she’s become the only female full-blooded werewolf in town, the supernatural world is already clamoring to take a bite out of her and her new Pack must rise up and protect her.

But not everyone is on board. The werewolf Rights of Laws is missing text and the superstitious werewolves think that Jessica means an end to their race. It doesn’t help when Jessica begins to realize she’s more. She can change partway and hold her form, and speak directly to her wolf. But the biggest complication by far is that her alpha father can't control her like he can the rest of his wolves.

When a mercenary who’s been hired by the vampires shows up to extract information about the newly turned werewolf only days after her change, they find themselves smack in the middle of a war and there's no choice but to run together. When it’s up to Jessica to negotiate her release against her father’s direct orders, she chooses to take an offer for help instead. In exchange, Jessica must now swear an oath she may end up repaying with her life.

My Thoughts :

I read and review books because I enjoy it and with a full time job this blog is more of a hobby.  If I don't come across a book on Amazon I most likely will never come across it unless it pops up somewhere else I just happen to check in on.  I just don't have time to research these things.  So it comes as a surprise to me that I missed out on this book.  Surely I should have come across it somewhere?  Maybe I did and resisted the urge to read it?  Whatever the reason this book/series stayed off my radar until now and it was only its appearence (with sequel) on netgalley that I finally found this book on my reading list.  

At first I thought I had made a mistake.  The blurb was a little off putting somehow but there was something there that enticed me.  Within a few chapters I was sure this one was going to go into my 'meh' file where some books end up when I find myself bored by them.  However there was something that kept me reading till the end and I was rewarded for not giving up because Full Blooded showed itself to be something of a late bloomer and a very good read.

It took until about half way in or even longer for the book to really open up and stop being so shy.  There was some extremely interesting aspects to the book already but there were some points later on that made it shine.  I can't really go into the details without spoiling the plot for anyone who hasn't read this yet but thinking that this is just another 'only female werewolf knock-off' (which it does scream out quite loudly) will be proven wrong.  There is more than meets the eye about this series and I have to say it shows a lot of promise.

Of course the sequel will show if I am wrong or right about this series but I am very intrigued and can't wait to read the next installment.  Jessica's turning and the mad action filled days after it has a  'been there, done that' feeling to it from the readers perspective but there are enough new aspects to the story that make it slightly different to the ones before it.  If you enjoyed the Riley Jenson series by Keri Arthur, still love the Kitty series by Carrie Vaughn or followed Lori Handeland's books then you need to take a closer look at this series.  If you are a werewolf fan then this is a must read and if you aren't really into the werewolf thing then give it a try anyway because there is more in Full Blooded than just  Weres.


  Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository
Amberkatze's Book Blog

No comments: