Header Menu

Saturday, June 22, 2013

90) Hot Blooded by Amanda Carlson

The Blurb :

It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain.

Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge --- but Jessica is playing for keeps.

Because she's the only female werewolf in town...it comes with its own set of rules...and powers.

Aided by two vamps, two loyal Pack members, and one very reluctant human, Jessica must rescue her man while coming to terms with what being a wolf really means.

All in a day's work for a girl.

My Review :

The second novel in the Jessica McClain series is a full with action and adventure.  There is an angry goddess and loads of different weird and wonderful monsters but in the end I didn't enjoy it as much as the first book in the series.  It was trying way too hard to be amazing.  There wasn't time to take count of what was happening, had happening or was going to happen.  Too much new information and strange new powers.  I couldn't believe that Jessica could have adapted to the change in her life so quickly and it bothered me so much that she seemed to be doing ok with the constant attacks.  Even if she is some kind of special werewolf.

Which is really what put me off this sequel.  The fact that whatever happened and whatever Jessica came up against, she managed to get through it without a scratch.  It was too perfect.  There was always a new power/development in her fresh new powers to fight anything.  To keep her safe and alive from everything.  It became pretty boring after a while because I knew there would always been some new aspect that would make everything better.

However I did like the variety and scope of the monsters, demons, and other beasts that are packed into this book.  I also like the conept and think the author has come up with something really exciting and good.  All in all the plot isn't bad but as I said before, this book was just trying too hard and it showed.  I found myself speed reading last third of the book because I just didn't care anymore about the fight to get to the goddess and kill her.  I wanted to see Jessica find her mate but I wasn't too interested in the how.

If it wasn't for the cliffhanger ending I may have ended this review with a 'I won't be going any further with this series' line.  However the ending intrigued me and left me interested in finding out what happens next.  While I also aren't too happy with the constant new amazing powers Jessica keeps finding she has, I do want to know what she is and what it all means.  So I will definitely, at some point, check out the third book in the series.

A nice Paranormal Urban Fantasy read that is interesting and exciting.  If you like werewolves and also enjoy being surprised by unusual and exotic creatures then you may just like this one.  A strong headed leading lady with a nice pack of friends and family, Jessica is someone you would like to be friends with, even if you can't really work her out.



 
  Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository
Amberkatze's Book Blog

No comments: