Header Menu

Thursday, September 12, 2013

120) Hexed by Kevin Hearne

The Blurb :

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty—when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II.

With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor’s rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong Druid to hex.

My Thoughts :

So I kept to my plan and decided to follow this series via Audible.  After been wowed and amazed by the first book in the series I couldn't wait to get started with this second part.  I was already late to the party on this one and I have some serious catching up to do.  Book three is already on the iPod waiting.

Did Hexed meet up to my expectations after the wonderful first book in the Iron Druid Chronicles, Hounded?  Yes and No.   Maybe the wow factor had been taken away because the first book was so new to me but this time around I didn't feel the oomph the first book left me with.  That isn't to say this second book didn't impress me or wasn't good.  It was actually an amazing read but somehow it still fell short of its predecessor

What I love about this series so far is the wit and humour.  Also the historical references and the all out cool druid aspect of the book.  The author has thought things out and really done his best to dot all i's and cross all t's.  I am sure there is something in there that he has changed to suit his needs but he has wound a wonderful tale and I am loving it.

Also to love is the characters.  Atticus is a great guy and the kind you want as a friend.  He will go to any lengths to keep the ones close to him safe.  His apprentice hasn't, in my opinion, really gotten to shine yet and I still don't feel like I know her well enough.  She is a great character though and I am looking forward to see her evolve.  Oberon is fun and a nice quirky angle on things.  If it wasn't for this delightful dog then the book wouldn't be as good as it is.  He really gives things a boost.  Actually there are a few other characters who lend a hand in making things more readable such as Atticus's neighbour and lawyers.  They lend a nice variety to the paranormal side of things.

So in a whole I am enjoying this series and am ready to move onto book three as soon as possible.  The audio book version is well read and the narrator does a great job of lending his voice to all the characters and making them all stand out and easy to follow.  I am looking forward to continuing this series via Audible and if you haven't already tried this series yet then maybe you will to.  This is one that really needs to be on the good old to be read pile.


  Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


Amberkatze's Book Blog

1 comment:

Aurian said...

4 more books to go, but don't miss out on the short stories in between, those are fun too.