Header Menu

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

138) Shaedes of Gray by Amanda Bonilla

The Blurb :

"I'd learned the hard way that love is nothing more than the sharpest blade, and it can easily be turned against you. I refused to let anyone have that kind of power over me ever again."

Darian has lived alone for almost a century in the shadows of the night. Made and abandoned by her former love, Darian is the last of her kind—an immortal Shaede who can slip into darkness as easily as breathing. With no one else to rely on, she has taught herself how to survive, using her unique skills to become a deadly assassin.

Darian finds herself struggling to keep her employer, Tyler, at arm's length, especially since his seductive smile makes her want to break her rules about love. The work he offers is necessary to protect the innocent—and a welcome distraction. But when Darian's next mark turns out to be Xander Peck, King of the Shaede Nation, her whole worldview is thrown into question. Darian begins to wonder if she has taken on more than her conscience will allow, but a good assassin never leaves a job unfinished.

My Thoughts :

I have a lot of books hanging around in the apartment and on my Kindle that don't ever seem to make it to the top of my reading pile.  Some of those books were on my wishlist for ages before I got a copy and some of the books were presents that are just gathering dust.  So I am making a huge effort to read some of these books which isn't hard right now because there doesn't seem to be any new releases I really want.  

Shaedes of Gray could have been on my Kindle since it released.  I have no idea when or why I got it.  I am pretty sure I had it on my wishlist and I know the blurb sounded good.  However when I started reading this I realised pretty early on that I wasn't going to like it much.  The writing style wasn't my cup of tea and the main character wasn't likable.  So why did I keep reading?  The concept kept me going.  I like the Shaede Assassin aspect and I really wanted to see how that played out but as it was the story just went somewhere else completely.

Everything was personal, everything had to do with Darian and it became predictable and boring.  I should have given up and put this one on my 'Meh' pile but I was already too far in.  It was too late to turn back. So I struggled on and rolled my eyes as everything developed exactly how you would expect it to.  I grumbled to myself as Darian went through the typical actions and became more special than everyone else.  It has all been done before but with different players and a slightly different playing field.

So I won't be reading more in this series.  I am glad I finished this book just so I wouldn't be left wondering if something really surprising happened that I couldn't have expected.  Now I know and now I can let go.  While this concept may have been pretty original that is the only thing this book had going for it.   I see a lot of raving reviews for this book but I have to sadly disagree!




 Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog


2 comments:

Aurian said...

I am sad as I am one of those who really likes this series. But I totally get why you did not, as it does evolve around Darian, also in the next books. Still, it has enough originality for me to follow this series where it will lead me.

Unknown said...

That is one of the things about the book. I can totally see why people could like it and want to read more. I am just not one of those people.