Header Menu

Saturday, October 11, 2014

109) Once Haunted, Twice Shy by H.P. Mallory

The Blurb :

After agreeing to let the spirit of Drake Montague inhabit her body, Peyton soon discovers that the twentieth-century French policeman may be dead but his lothario longings sure aren’t. Now she has to find a way to explain to her sweet, sexy boyfriend, Ryan Kelly, that a spirit has taken up residence in her head, whispering French words of affection day and night.

While Peyton is torn between her love for a living man and her growing affection for one deceased, supernatural activity in New Orleans spikes—and something wicked this way comes. With the help of her friends (and a little voodoo), Peyton learns that the demonic spirit of the Axeman may still dwell in her home. To stop bloody history from repeating itself, Peyton will have to travel back a century to confront the Axeman at his roots, with the help of a certain handsome—and suddenly flesh and blood—police officer in the Big Easy.

My Thoughts :

The Peyton Clark series started off with Ghouls Rush in and now it continues with Once Haunted, Twice Shy.  Not much time has passed since we left Peyton recovering from her big paranormal fight against the Axeman and she still has Drake inside her head.  Her dishy boyfriend is still in the dark about that last little detail and when he finally finds out he isn't a happy bunny.

Peyton's love for Drake grows in this sequel and I found it very difficult to believe that she even likes Ryan one little bit.  She really treats him like crap in this second book and I can't believe he stays around and doesn't storm off.  Actually that's what I kept waiting for the whole time I was listening to this book.  Ryan to grow a pair and Peyton to stop being so girlie and dramatic.  The concept is a good one and the plot isn't bad but the relationship stuff was really annoying me.

As for the Axeman, he is back in a way and Peyton goes through some weird stuff to try and stop him again.  There is also another spiritual problem that arises and it seems this could be the focus for book three.  Peyton was asking lots of questions while getting involved in all the magic that takes place in this story but sometimes she wasn't asking the right questions or making decisions too quickly.  I think this going to come back and bite her on the rear end.  To be totally honest I think she deserves it for going out and getting involved in all the trouble.

Reading back on my words so far it sounds like I hated this book.  Actually there were times where I turned it off and stopped listening because I needed a break from it but at the end of it all I want to know what happens next.  There is something about this series that has me wanting more and even though I am not Peyton's number one fan I do want to find out more and see if she and Ryan manage to have a relationship, if Drake ends up sticking around and what happens to her now she made that deal.

H.P. Mallory's books are always different and well written.  I love listening to them and this one was a great book to enjoy via Audible.  When book three comes out I will also be checking out the audio book version.





Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: