Header Menu

Monday, January 5, 2015

153) Keeper of the Castle by Juliet Blackwell

The Blurb :

Lately, Mel has been worried about finding enough historic renovation work to pay the bills. But while Turner Construction is in need of a project, Mel’s boyfriend, Graham, has his hands full managing the reconstruction of an ancient building shipped over from Scotland.

With the job plagued by rumors that the stones are cursed, Graham brings in Mel to look for paranormal activity. And while the ghost of a charming Scottish clansman does seem to be hanging around the site, the real shock comes when they stumble upon a body.

When the original construction crew starts running scared, Mel brings in her team to finish the job. Now all she has to do is nail down the killer, and put the spirits to rest, before anyone else winds up heading for the highlands…

My Thoughts :

My last read of 2014!  A pre-order of a must read series/author that has been sitting on my Kindle since it released.  However I don't get to read everything as soon as it comes out.  Time permitting I try but lately it takes me a lot longer than I would like.

This is the fifth installment of the Haunted Home Renovation Mysteries and I will admit straight away that it wasn't my favourite.  The plot was interesting enough but for some reason this one felt a little flat compared to the other books in the series.  The idea of moving a building from Scotland actually amused me.  I am sure this kind of thing happens but it seems like a silly thing to do.

The ghostly aspect of the story was ok but not that impressive when I think back on the previous books.  Mel being away from home and her usual comfort zone didn't help the story much and her relationship with Graham came across as a friendship when I thought they were a lot more.

A great read but there was something lacking.  It hasn't put me off the series in anyway and Keeper of the Castle gets four stars from me but the rest of the series has impressed me more.




Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



1 comment:

Anne said...

I finished over the weekend and enjoyed it. While every book takes place on a different work site, I liked how different this one was, a castle moved over from Scotland.