Header Menu

Thursday, February 26, 2015

24) Dead Spots by Melissa F. Olson

The Blurb :

Scarlett Bernard knows about personal space: step within ten feet of her, and any supernatural spells or demonic forces are instantly defused—vampires and werewolves become human again, and witches can’t get out so much as a “hocus pocus.” This special skill makes her a null and very valuable to Los Angeles’s three most powerful magical communities, who utilize her ability to scrub crime scenes clean of all traces of the paranormal to keep humanity, and the LAPD, in the dark.

But one night Scarlett’s late arrival to a grisly murder scene reveals her agenda and ends with LAPD’s Jesse Cruz tracking her down to strike a deal: he’ll keep quiet about the undead underworld if she helps solve the case. Their pact doesn’t sit well with Dash, the city’s chief bloodsucker, who fears his whole vampire empire is at stake. And when clues start to point to Scarlett, it’ll take more than her unique powers to catch the real killer and clear her name.

My Thoughts :

This book/series has been on my wishlist for a long time.  I finally picked up the Audible version and decided to listen to it straight away.  After the first few chapters I knew I had made a mistake.  A huge one.  I should have read this series much sooner!

It was a little confusing at the beginning but once I managed to get the lay of the land I found myself being caught up with the story.  The idea is fresh and unusual mixed with some of the usual paranormal urban fantasy content.  Scarlett is an amazing, likable, clever and strong character and not one of the annoying female leads who always keep messing up and then still save the day.  Scarlett puts in the hours and works hard.  She thinks before she leaps and she the kind of person you want to be friends with.

The story was well written and the plot kept me guessing.  There were a few things I figured out before Scarlett did and there were also a couple of twists that I saw coming.  I liked the story being told by both Scarlett and Jesse.  He is a strong character and it was nice to see things from his perspective as well.  There were a few little bits of the story that left me a little annoyed.  Either because they weren't explained or didn't go into enough detail.  There were also a few points where I think the characters make pretty big leaps to connect things but maybe I just zoned out while listening.

Wonderful cliffhanger ending to this one!  It made me extremely happy that I already got hold of the second book.  However I will make a short pause and listen to something else.  This is a great start to what I hope will be a great series.  Strong characters, interesting story and some great paranormal twists and turns.  Despite kicking myself for not reading this earlier I am, in a way, happy I did wait because now I don't have to wait too long to listen to the next installment.



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: