Header Menu

Monday, March 2, 2015

26) Catnapped by Elaine Viets

The Blurb :

The one thing celebrity Trish Barrymore and her no-account accountant husband, Mort, can agree on in their bitter divorce is shared cat custody. But when Mort is found brained by a mahogany cat tower, and Justine, their pedigreed Chartreux show cat, goes missing, Trish calls on Helen and Phil. Despite a ransom note from the catnapper, Trish is still the prime murder suspect in the eyes of the police. As they await the post-Mort-em, it’s up to Helen and Phil to find the feline filcher and let the cat out of the bag.

Discovering that Mort had some shady dealings within cat show circles, Helen goes undercover as an assistant for a woman who shows prizewinning Persians. But Phil is not buying Trish’s cat-that-swallowed-a-canary act—he thinks she might be staging the whole catnapping.

As Helen and Phil get deeper into a high-pressure world of primping, posing, and purring to collar a killer, they get caught up in a cat-and-mouse game where the stakes are literally life and death....

My Thoughts :

March is here and I going to use this month to get some physical books read.  Usually this must read author/series would have been on pre-order and bought on Kindle but for some reason the publishers insist on releasing this series in hardback for a high price.  Now I love this series but for the price of this hardback I can buy four paperbacks or Kindle books.  Guess what I decide to do!  So this was on my wishlist and I actually got a copy for my Birthday, way back when!  Now I finally got around to reading it.

As expected this was a great read.  I love the Dead-End Job Mysteries and this was just as good as the previous twelve installments.  This thirteenth story was a pleasure to read and I loved reading about the cats shows and other cat information.  It even led me to looking up some breeds and discovering what breed (obviously not fully) one of my cats is.  The research done for this book must have taken a long time and I think the author did a great job in this aspect.

The plot was strong and interesting.  There turned out to be two murders that Helen and Phil investigated and their hard work on the cases paid off as always.  It wasn't always easy and they hit a few walls now and again but despite all the little twists and turns they did a great job.  It was also nice to see the couple getting along so well but I do have to say I find it weird that they both still have their own apartments.  I should also think Margery would prefer them to give up one so she can rent it out for a higher price.

So this series continues to be a must read!  I enjoy each story as much as the previous one and love the different subjects the author weaves into her mysteries.  However one of the main reasons for coming back to this series time and time again is the continuing stories of the main characters.  There are always some surprising developments and I find their stories to be just engaging as the mysteries.




Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



1 comment:

Aurian said...

Great review Amber, I really want to read this series. And you are not the only one who refuses to buy hardcover and waits for a cheaper paperback.