Header Menu

Sunday, February 14, 2016

16) Graveyard Shift by Angela Roquet

The Blurb :

The Inferno has Evolved…

Lana Harvey is a reaper, and a lousy one at that. She resides in Limbo City, the modern capital of the collective afterlives, where she likes to stick it to the man (the legendary Grim Reaper himself) by harvesting the bare minimum of souls required of her. She’d much rather be hanging out with Gabriel, her favorite archangel, at Purgatory Lounge. But when a shocking promotion falls in her lap, Lana learns something that could unravel the very fabric of Eternity. If the job isn’t completed, there could be some real hell to pay.

My Thoughts :

This book has been on my Kindle for a long time and at some point I came across it cheap (if you own the Kindle version already...) on Audible and got that version too.  I hoped I would get to listen to it before I would get to read it.  Well I was right about listening to it but it still took me quite a while to get to the audio version.

I have to start by saying that Graveyard Shift wasn't what I expected.  That isn't a bad thing, I just had a different vision in my mind after reading the blurb.  The concept was good, well thought out and different.  The characters were nice and I didn't hate the story but there was something a little confusing about the intricate world the author had built and the story felt a little too Young Adult which I am sure it wasn't.

Graveyard Shift was a nice start to a series and I am definitely going to check out the next book in the series at some point.  However this first installment didn't leave me eager to grab the next part or leave me with any anticipation for another tale.  If this had been it I would have been ok with it.  Maybe that will change as the series continues.

The narrator for the audio version did a good job but I did noticed a few edits here and there which, if this hadn't of been cheap or had been bought ages ago, would have made me want to ask Audible for my money back.  I will be checking the next part out via Audible though but mainly because I always try and keep listening to a series if I start it on Audio.

Not a bad book, an ok read with a lot promise.  It will be interesting to see what happens next and I hope the author keeps doing her religious based quotes at the beginning of each chapter because I really enjoyed them.  Some of them really made me think.





Amberkatze's Book Blog


No comments: