Header Menu

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

82) Dangling by a Thread by Lea Wait

The Blurb :

Hermit Jesse Lockhart lives alone on King’s Island, three miles east of Haven Harbor, Maine, where he’s created a private sanctuary for the endangered Great Cormorants. But when a wealthy family wants to buy the island and Jesse’s cousin Simon petitions for power of attorney to force him to sell, Jesse is the one who becomes endangered.

Mainely Needlepointer Dave Perry, who befriended Jesse in the VA hospital, rallies the group to his defense. Angie Curtis and the ravelers stitch “Save the King’s Island Cormorants” pillows and sell T-shirts to pay for Jesse’s legal counsel. But tragically, on a visit to the island, Angie and Dave find Jesse dead. Now the search is on for a common thread that can tie the murdered man to his killer . . .

My Thoughts :

It hasn't been a good month, reading wise.  Despite having some great reads lined up and a huge selection of books on my to be read pile, I am constantly struggling to read as fast as I usually do.  Distracted or just busy, I am not getting enough read quick enough.  I hope that as Winter comes along I will be more prone to curl up in bed and read.  Especially if they are books like Dangling by a Thread.

I have really enjoyed this series so far and couldn't wait to start this fourth installment.  Not much time has passed story wise since the third book, Thread and Gone.  Angie is still in Haven Harbor and things are going well.  So well that she is thinking of staying longer than the six months she has promised.  Unfortunately this book also sees Angie getting involved with another murder investigation but once again there is a great location, some interesting facts and a nice plot.  I enjoyed it as much as the previous books.

However there were some little minor problems I had with this installment.  One thing was that I can't believe it has only been three months since Angie arrived back.  A lot has happened and this is the fourth book and therefore fourth murder investigation.  It seems all a little too much in such a small amount of time.  Also I find the whole premise that Angie is only staying for six months completely unnecessary.  She has had the house signed over to her, gets a pet, is running the business, getting involved in everything and can even carry her gun because the laws changed.  Does the author think we are stupid?

This time around I also had a problem with how the characters spoke to each other.  It is hard to explain but there were so many conversations that sounded sarcastic, unsure, a little nasty...Sometimes it felt like there was a tone that wasn't all nice and friendly even when the characters involved have been great friends.  Especially between Angie and Dave but also with others.

All in all I am still loving this series.  I may have figured out who the murderer was before everyone else and I did think the ending was a little too quick but I enjoyed it and look forward to more.  I really like the little needlepoint references and history at the beginning of each chapter and only wish there were some pictures attached to them as they are hard to imagine.

Well worth checking out if you are looking for a nice welcoming cozy series.  This fourth part in the series may have had, in my opinion, a few little bumps but it was still a great read and continues to be a good well though out and well written series.






Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: