Header Menu

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

146) Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell

Lily Ivory feels that she can finally fit in somewhere and conceal her “witchiness” in San Francisco. It’s there that she opens her vintage clothing shop, outfitting customers both spiritually and stylistically.

Just when things seem normal, a client is murdered and a child start disappears from the Bay Area. Lily has a good idea that some bad phantoms are behind it. Can she keep her identity secret, or will her witchy ways be forced out of the closet as she attempts to stop the phantom?

I liked this first book in the 'Witchcraft Mystery' series. Realistic with alot of depth into the art of witchcraft this made for interesting reading. Sometimes the information about the San Fransico area was a bit too much for me but it did the book a certain homely feeling.

The twists in the plot kept me guessing right to the end and the story was well written. I liked the main character even though I couldn't really get a feeling for the way she looked or how old she should be. Oscar is hopefully going to be a very funny pig/gargoyle and Bronwyn and Maya are two characters I would like to see more of.

Altogether this was a great concept for a series that I look forward to visiting again in the future when the second book comes out in June. If you like Shirley Damsgaard's or Terri Garey's books you should think about trying out this paranormal magic filled cozy mystery.

1 comment:

shaunesay said...

I thought about picking this one up the other day but wasn't sure, now that I've seen you liked it, I'll have to get it next trip!

I've finally retaliated... er, I mean, reciprocated on the awards I've received, so please come check it out and see if there are any you don't already have that you'd like! http://shaunesay.blogspot.com/2009/07/choose-award-any-award.html