Header Menu

Sunday, June 6, 2010

80) Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane

The world if not the way it used to be. The ghosts came and the living are under attack. The Church of the Real Truth saved everyone and has been in charge since the government fell. Any citizen who is being harassed by the deceased gets reimbursed and it is Chess Putnam's job to make sure the claim is real.

Chess is a tattooed witch and ghost hunter. Banishing the dead is her job and she is good at it. However Chess has a problem and it all has to do with her addiction to drugs. She owes a lot of money to a drug lord and he wants payback. The nice offer of cancelling her debt if she does a job for him sounds promising but when Chess finds out what it really involves, it is too late.

The job is dangerous and involves black magic, a human sacrifice and a demonic creature. Then add a rival gang leader and you have a mixture that can only lead to trouble with a capital T. If Chess gets through this alive she is going to get all the drugs she needs. If she doesn't, well maybe she can come back and haunt the bad guys?

I have been waiting patiently for this series to start and the wait is finally over. Stacia Kane impressed me with her Megan Chase series and I was ready to be further impressed by this new offering but I am still not sure what to think. The start of this book made me do a little happy dance. I was sure this was going to be a great read. However as things progressed I had mixed feelings about this and I have to admit I am a little unsure as to what to think about this book.

The whole idea is fresh and unusual and kept me reading to the end but the main character and her self-destructive drug addictive attitude did put me off at times. The magical element mixed with ghosts was super but the alternative version of Earth still had, imho, gaps of information missing that I can only hope will be added in the next books. The religious part of this book may be hard to swallow for some readers but my reaction was that of interest and intrigue. The idea isn't at all bad and it really is something new and promising.

So Unholy Ghosts is the first book of a new series and I am glad to see that the next two books come in July and August. Will I be buying them? Well I will. Why? Well I am still unsure about this series but it has so much to offer that I want to see where it goes. This is well written Urban Fantasy and a Caitlin Kittredge and Jocelynn Drake feel to it. This is totally different to Stacia's previous books with a new style and pace.

All in all this is a good read and I finished it pretty quickly. Actually with the next books in the series coming out within the next two months it is a great Summer series to lie in the sun with. However I think this book or even the series is one where the reader really has to decide for his or herself if they liked it or not. I will certainly be trying Unholy Magic and City of Ghosts and look forward to seeing where Stacia takes this hard and gritty new series.

No comments: