Header Menu

Thursday, June 17, 2010

86) Soulless by Gail Carriger

Alexia Tarabotti is laboring under a great many social tribulations. First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.

Things should only get better but instead they go from bad to worse. Alexia manages to accidentally kill a vampire which results in Lord Maccon being sent to investigate. Loud, messy and gorgeous the alpha werewolf Lord Maccon seems to love to hate Alexia and believes she is out to annoy him whenever possible. So being thrown together because of an investigation is the last thing either of them want.

With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing Alexia fears that something strange is going on. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Oh and can she keep her nosey family in the dark about everything?

When I first heard about this series I was sure I would get around to trying it at some point. No rush. Then I was got sent a copy to read and review and when it arrived the other day I was just going to add it to the bottom of the pile until I could get around to it. However my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to give it a go straight away. I am glad that I did.

Soulless is set in Victorian London and is full of werewolves, vampires and lots more paranormal goodness. Quirky, delightful and proper, this book had me smirking and giggling on more than a few occasions. Alexia is a feisty and demanding main character whose independent attitude makes her stick out like a sore thumb in Queen Victoria's London. It is no wonder than Lord Maccon can't stop himself from falling for her.

The author has built an impressive paranormal world set in a time where people still spoke the Queen's English and had manners. British and wonderfully written this is a series I think I am going to enjoy a lot. Thankfully I have the second book waiting for me because otherwise I would have ordered it about halfway through this first book.

Cozy mystery, romance, comedy and the paranormal are mixed together to make one superb book. The start to a new series, Soulless is the first in the Parasol Protectorate and I think the author is onto a winner. So I now have a new author to add to my list and another series to put on the must buy list. However I am left fighting the urge to read Changeless the second book in the series. Maybe I will just take a peak...

1 comment:

Patricia Altner said...

Hi Amber

Excellent review! I have this book on my shelf. Haven't read it yet. Now it's been moved to the MUST READ pile.