Header Menu

Friday, January 14, 2011

9) Hourglass by Claudia Gray

The Blurb -

Bianca will risk everything to be with Lucas.

After escaping from Evernight Academy, the vampire boarding school where they met, Bianca and Lucas take refuge with Black Cross, a fanatical group of vampire hunters. Bianca must hide her supernatural heritage or risk certain death at their hands. But when Black Cross captures her friend—the vampire Balthazar—hiding is no longer an option.

Soon, Bianca and Lucas are on the run again, pursued not only by Black Cross, but by the powerful leaders of Evernight. Yet no matter how far they travel, Bianca can't escape her destiny.

Bianca has always believed their love could survive anything . . . but can it survive what's to come?

My Thoughts -

The third book in the Evernight series was one I have been dying to read and a book I was very happy to find under the Christmas tree! Although I have been very pre-occupied with all my Kindle books I decided that during the week I will try and take a 'real' book in my bag with me instead of always taking the Kindle. After all there are all those paperbacks and hardbacks still on my bookshelves. So when I went back to work this week I grabbed the paperbacks I really wanted to read and Hourglass was one of them.

I have to admit that the first third of this book didn't have me jumping for joy. Maybe the fact that Bianca and Lucas were off with the bad guys (well good guys...depends on which side you are on) and it made me cringe. The boot camp style life and the annoying people were only made a little more interesting when the location changed to New York City. However I my biggest hope was that the couple would get away from the strange vampire killing cult as soon as possible.

A slight spoiler alert here but I am sure that if Bianca and Lucas hadn't left the Black Cross then I may have left them. I was ready to give up. It was only when the story took a turn around that I knew things were changing for the better and I was excited about the story again. I was rewarded with some very interesting developments and a far better second half of the Hourglass.

I have at least four other YA series waiting for me on my tbr pile that have something to do with a school or/and vampires and/or ghosts. So it was extremely pleasing to read this story and see that the plot has grown away from the school element and has grown up a little. Maybe the author will take this back to its roots at some point but right now I am happy to stay away from the typical and some what boring story lines that everyone else seems to be doing. Keep being creative and I will keep reading!

So Evernight is still on my must read list. I would love to get a copy of the four book when it comes out but I am not sure if this series is really on my must buy list. Sure the end of this third installment left me wondering what will happen next but I am not in a rush to find out. Why not? Because this is a story that is original and hard to forget. I really don't have a problem giving myself a break inbetween and digesting what has happened so far. I know I can jump back into this one at anytime and still know what is going on and still enjoy it.

A must read for any YA paranormal readers. If you like Vampire Academy or the House of the Night series then you will absolutely love this.

No comments: