Header Menu

Friday, March 11, 2011

35) River Marked by Patricia Briggs

The Blurb -

Car mechanic Mercy Thompson has always known there was something different about her, and not just the way she can make a VW engine sit up and beg. Mercy is a shapeshifter, a talent she inherited from her long-gone father. She’s never known any others of her kind. Until now.

An evil is stirring in the depths of the Columbia River—one that her father’s people may know something about. And to have any hope of surviving, Mercy and her mate, the Alpha werewolf Adam, will need their help…

My Thoughts -

I am always eager to get started on the new Mercy Thompson book when it is released. So it seems like forever since Book six, River Marked, started showing itself around the internet. It feels like I have been waiting for years for this book to come out. I needed more Mercy and I wanted it ages ago but of course we always have to wait so long for the good stuff.

This sixth book in the series is a little different than the previous books. Not only does it have an unusual feel to it but it also plays away from home. I could understand a lot of fans being put off by this change of scenery and lack of familiar characters but the story was strong and well developed. It seemed only fair that Mercy and Adam get to go away on their own. It just doesn't seem fair that they didn't have as much fun as they should have.

What was really interesting about this book is the amount of information and depth the author finally tells us about Mercy's heritage and father. While some of the story surrounding this was confusing it was still fascinating and it was about time Mercy got to find out more about her coyote roots. The development in Mercy's and Adam's relationship was also played a big part in this book and where I may have had doubts about them actually 'working' I now feel they are made for each other. I understand them much better now.

All in all this is another great book in the series. It may not have been the best yet but it has some good strong parts and the ending shows the promise of another great Mercy Story to come. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for book number seven but even if I have to wait another year I will be there when it is released. Mercy is like a friend and I always enjoy meeting up with her again and catching up.

3 comments:

Mardel said...

This is a good series, isn't it? I've been wondering about Mercy's father, since he's rarely mentioned, so it'll be interesting to see where that goes,.

Looking forward to reading this. :)

Aurian said...

I agree with your review, I have enjoyed the book, and finding out more about Mercy's roots. I was relieved when in the end of the book, ...
And then the walking stick part ...

Yes, great book.

Unknown said...

@ Mardel - It will also be interesting to see what happens now that she knows more...

Enjoy River Marked when you get to read it!

@ Aurian - It was good! Not the best but every Mercy book is good!