Header Menu

Monday, June 27, 2011

86) Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich

The Blurb :

Where there's smoke there's fire, and no one knows this better than New Jersey bounty hunter, Stephanie Plum. The bail bonds office has burned to the ground, and bodies are turning up in the empty construction lot. To make matters worse, Stephanie is working out of a motor home she shares with a dancing bear, and Joe Morelli's old world grandmother has declared a vendetta against her. And just when Stephanie decides it might be time to choose between the two men in her life, Morelli and Ranger, a third man from Stephanie's past moves back to Trenton...

My Thoughts :

Seventeen books into the series and I am still happy to read about Stephanie & Co and laugh all the way through each new installment. There is no doubt that the author can really write some amazing madcap comedy into a cozy like mystery. Great characters and always a good plot awaits the reader in every book. I mean it must be good if the series has lasted this long!

This series has always made me laugh and I am sure it always will. I love how Stephanie manages to get into all these crazy situations. How all the cars she has seem to explode for some reason or another. I especially enjoy the other characters like Lula and Grandma Mazur. It is like going to an amazingly hilarious family reunion every time a new book comes out. Do you hear it though? The But? Yeah...

But despite how cool and fun this series is and how sorry I would be to see it end...well I think it is time to clear things up and finish it. Why? Well the Morelli and Ranger thing has been going on way too long and I would like to have some conclusion to it all. I can't put up with the cliffhangers each book that imply Stephanie has made a decision or will do next time around.

Also I believe it is just time to let go. While the author is an extremely good writer I knew who the bad guy was as soon as it made his appearance. It was so obvious and it bugged me that Stephanie took so long to figure it out. Also this is a quick read. Actually as much as a new copy costs it is way too quick to read. I am not saying it is over-priced but as a long time fan I feel like I am being punished for wanting to read the series. Great for the author but what about the readers?

It is time Stephanie settled down or moved on. I don't mind if it takes another book or two to work out but I want to see her finally living a better life and it doesn't matter who with. I will keep reading the series but it is a hoot. I couldn't live without finding out what happens next but I need this to come to an end soon.

It is well worth reading this series if you want to have a laugh. Stephanie Plum is like a good comedy sitcom and once you start following it you can't stop.

3 comments:

Diane P said...

I love Evanovich and have been reading her since she wrote for the Loveswept series. I have chuckled my way through all 17 books but... I am feeling the same way as you. I want a conclusion and a happy ending in the next 1 or 2 books.
I'd be happy to read other books with great characters but I guess enough is enough.

Aurian said...

I haven't started yet but am tempted by the reviews of this new one. In the Joanne Fluke series, I also wish the heroine would make a choice between her two beaus.

Nicole K/GothamGal said...

I am glad that 18 is coming out at the end of this year, but I really just wish she would CHOOSE already.

And, yes, the villain was so obvious it was hard not to understand why Stephanie didn't see it sooner.

It's been a very good run.