Header Menu

Friday, July 22, 2011

100) A Taste of the Nightlife by Sarah Zettel

The Blurb :

Charlotte Caine isn't called "the Vampire Chef" because she's a member of New York's undead community-she just cooks for them. Her restaurant, Nightlife, is poised to take the top slot in the world of "haute noir" cuisine.

But when a drunk customer causes a scene, a glowing review from the city's top food critic doesn't seem likely-especially when that customer winds up dead on Nightlife's doorstep. Now, with her brother under suspicion for the murder, Charlotte has to re-open her restaurant and clear her brother's name-before they both become dinner.

My Review :

As you guys already know, I like to read a good cozy. If said cozy has a paranormal aspect to it then I love it. So when I saw 'A Taste of the Nightlife' somewhere I knew I had to have it. Vampires, cooking and mystery! Seems to good to be true doesn't it? Well I took the risk and pre-ordered this one because I wanted something new. To be honest it wasn't a bad decision.

The first in the Vampire Chef series this was pretty good for a debut. You have a great setting, some interesting characters and a nice love triangle. Better yet there was a good mystery, vampires and food! Sure there was a few little cringe and a couple of 'seriously?' moments but all in all I really enjoyed reading this.

My major issue with this book was the names. First Caroline is called Chef Caine by everyone. Really? Would everyone call her Chef when she isn't in the kitchen cooking or in her restaurant? The there was her brother. He is called Chet Caine. Notice there is only one letter difference? So sometimes I had to go back and read a paragraph again because I saw Chet and not Chef and vice versa. Marie-Our-Pastry-Chef was also quite annoying. Always with the hyphens. Why not just call her Marie?

Despite that I am really pleased with this new paranormal cozy. It is only the beginning so there is still some work to be done but I think this series could become one of my favourites. I will be getting a copy of the second book, 'Let Them Eat Stake', when it comes out and I am looking forward to how this series progresses. Well worth checking out.

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Hmm sure sounds like an enjoyable cozy to me. Thanks for the review.

Victoria said...

I love your review. This does sound like a nice cozy read. Thank you.