Header Menu

Thursday, November 10, 2011

142) Last Breath by Rachel Caine

The Blurb :

With her boss preoccupied researching the Founder Houses in Morganville, student Claire Danvers is left to her own devices when she learns that three vampires have vanished without a trace. She soon discovers that the last person seen with one of the missing vampires is someone new to town—a mysterious individual named Magnus. After an uneasy encounter with Morganville’s latest resident, Claire is certain Magnus isn’t merely human. But is he a vampire—or something else entirely?

My Review :

The Morganville series has got to be one of my favourite YA reads and as things progress I begin to wonder when it will be over. The title for book Eleven, Last Breath, implies that things could be coming to an end. Or at least for someone. The actual horror and surprise of what does occur was something that I didn't see coming and would have not have even contemplated. It was shocking but gave the series a new leash of life.

I am not saying that this series needed something new but there is only so much you can do with a town full of vampires. At some point you have to start mixing things up . Most authors wouldn't manage to get things pumping again but Rachel Caine has, once again, managed to totally grab my attention and bring something amazingly good to the table. I couldn't put down this new installment and can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Lovers of the series will spend the second half of the book wondering if there will be any more in the series. Luckily I read the Author's Note and knew that a 12th book was promised. I had no worries about what happens to one of the regular crew but I was scared of how things would progress. Anyone new to the series will definitely want to stop and just start at the beginning. And to be honest there is no way you can jump into Morganville at this late stage and even begin to understand what it all means. Claire, Shane, Michael and Eve have come a long way in the Glass House and the depth and seriousness of everything that happens can not be understood without knowing all the history.

Last Breath is not the end but I fear the end is near. It is, most likely, the best in the series yet and I really am eager to read the next part. Make sure you start this series if you haven't already and if you have then go out and get Last Breath asap! This Young Adult series rocks and adults should, would and do love it!

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Great review Amber, I really should start reading this.