Header Menu

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

53) Curiosity Thrilled the Cat by Sofie Kelly

The Blurb :

When librarian Kathleen Paulson moved to Mayville Heights, Minnesota, she had no idea that two strays would nuzzle their way into her life. Owen is a tabby with a catnip addiction and Hercules is a stocky tuxedo cat who shares Kathleen's fondness for Barry Manilow. But beyond all the fur and purrs, there's something more to these felines.

When murder interrupts Mayville's Music Festival, Kathleen finds herself the prime suspect. More stunning is her realization that Owen and Hercules are magical-and she's relying on their skills to solve a purr-fect murder.

My Thoughts :

I have been meaning to read this book for a while and for some reason it kept hiding from me. Over the Easter weekend I was taking part in a read-a-thon and was desperately trying to get some of the hundreds of physical books I have that are gathering dust since my Kindle came along. While looking through the shelves I came across this one and decided it was time I gave it a go!

At first I wondered if this was really the first book in the series. Some of the story seemed to be missing pieces but as the plot progressed all the little gaps got filled and I felt right at home in Mayville. The leading lady, Kathleen, was nice and I liked her instantly. Of course it helped that she was a cat lover and a librarian! Actually I was a little envious of her.

The plot in this book was pretty good and it kept me guessing to the end. The magicial cat aspect was quite fun and I am eager to see how the author expands on this twist in the tail. As a cozy mystery this one did shine and the slight paranormal angle really had me hooked. I can't wait to see what happens next and hope to visit Mayville again sometime soon.

Books, murder, mystery, cats and a smidge of magic made this a very enjoyable read. Worth checking out if any of these subjects appeal to you and you like a good Cozy.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

This really looks like fun. I love when a book can keep me from figuring things out. Hoping the twist you mention will make it difficult for me :). Thanks.

Vickie said...

This is on the WWBL...will have to up it to the 'Get Sooner' list...

Aurian said...

This sure sounds good. Somehow, cats and librarians are a good mix. But magical cats make it all the more good :)