Header Menu

Friday, June 22, 2012

88) House of the Night by P.C. & Kristen Cast

The Blurb :

Until recently, Zoey Redbird was an average high-school student worrying about grades, boys, and breakouts. But priorities have a way of changing when you are Marked as a vampyre, enroll in the vampyre academy House of Night, and have to figure out a whole new social hierarchy, affinities for elemental magic, and physiological changes that make you crave blood.

My Review :

I have been following the House of the Night series since the beginning and although the series started losing me a few books ago I did actually enjoy the latest release. So when I saw there was a graphic novel for the series I decided to give it a try. I was curious to see what an artist did with the tattoos and the characters. In my mind it would look extremely cool.

My first impression when I saw this graphic novel was, 'Not another one'. Despite wondering how it would look on the inside I had to wonder why another Paranormal series was being made into a graphic novel. I agree that some of them are extremely well drawn but as a reader of full length books I have to say I don't want to waste my time with someone else's impression of what that world, characters etc look like. I have already made up my own mind and feel a little upset when the graphic novel version doesn't match my version.

Also why do we need graphic novels? There are already quite a few books in the series. The authors are obviously making enough money and have enough fans. Why bother? I can't believe that this kind of book makes an awful lot of money for anyone. Is it just to make the series look good? Boast about it being made into a graphic novel because nobody has made it into a film and or TV series?

Ok that aside. Was this graphic novel any good? Not at all. I found myself confused about where this story actually takes place in the series. The quality of the copy I had was awful and I could hardly read the text. The characters looked dark and dismal and these amazing tattoos I have heard so much about hardly showed up in the artwork. They should have popped and stood out but instead they looked like someone scribbled on the characters faces.

A plus for me was the history lesson. The way the elements mixed in with different parts of history was a nice touch and I am sure I would have enjoyed it better if the artwork had done it justice. However I was left very disappointed with the result of the inside drawings when the cover and other larger pieces of art looked really good.

If you are a huge fan and can't go without getting a copy then do so at your own risk. If you are not sure then stay away from this and borrow a copy somewhere. Maybe even go to your local book store and read it there. After all it isn't that long. I certainly won't be checking out any more graphic novels for this series. It could have been much better and I could have been very impressed. Unfortunately this one missed the target by a long shot.

No comments: