Header Menu

Friday, August 3, 2012

114) Darklands by Nancy Holzner

The Blurb :

They call it Deadtown: the city’s quarantined section for its inhuman and undead residents. Most humans stay far from its border—but Victory Vaughn, Boston’s only professional demon slayer, isn’t exactly human…

Boston’s demons have been disappearing, and Vicky’s clients are canceling left and right. While fewer demons might seem like a good thing, Vicky suspects foul play. A missing Celtic cauldron from Harvard’s Peabody museum leads her to an unwelcome conclusion: Pryce, her demi-demon cousin and bitter enemy, is trying to regain his full powers.

But Pryce isn’t alone. He’s conjured another, darker villain from Vicky’s past. To stop them from destroying everything she loves, she’ll have to face her own worst fear—in the realm of the dead itself

My Thoughts :

I have been enjoying the Deadtown series since the first book released. It made me go 'WOW' back then and it has continued to wow me since. With a captivating plot and kick-ass heroine it is really one of my favourite reads. I love catching up with Vicky and the whole wonderful strange weirdness that is Deadtown. Nancy Holzner has built up a fascinating world that I continue to enjoy and that keeps surprising me. I love it!

Darklands starts with action and excitement and that is the general speed throughout the book. You hardly have time to take a breath and something else amazing has happened or is taking place. It sounds like it could be too much but the writer has a great way of making the emotions and activity span over a few chapters with new revelations of information coming together all the time. It is truly a work of art.

This time around you can expect some interesting vampire shopping addictions as well as more amazing Welsh mythology blending into the story. Also some relationship struggles and problems with her family and gorgeous werewolf boyfriend. It all just adds to the edgy atmosphere of series. Oh and how could I forget Vicky's zombie 'assistant' she really adds some fun to the books. I hope we get to see more of her in action in the next book.

The only thing I can say I seriously don't like about this series is Vicky's poor hair! On the cover it looks extremely nasty this time around and yes I know it is because of her shifting abilities but could she not get a nice wig? I feel so sorry for her!

You haven't tried this series yet? Then you have to! There is nothing else out there like this and you won't regret it. An amazing Paranormal Urban Fantasy series that I hope keeps going strong. I can't get enough and look forward to the next super installment.



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

2 comments:

Aurian said...

This series is on my wishlist, and there are so many enthusiastic reviews out there, as soon as Bookdepo has an other discount action, it will be bought!

Mardel said...

I've had the first book - "Deadtown"? around here for a while. I tried to read it, but it never really caught my attention. I think though, hearing how everyone is liking the rest of the series I'm going to have to give it another try. :)