Header Menu

Thursday, October 18, 2012

143) To Kill A Warlock by H.P. Mallory

The Blurb :

The murder of a dark arts warlock. A shape-shifting, ravenous creature on the loose. A devilishly handsome stranger sent to investigate. Sometimes working law enforcement for the Netherworld is a real bitch.

Dulcie O’Neil is a fairy. And not the type to frolic in gardens. She’s a Regulator—a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world. When a warlock is murdered and Dulcie was the last person to see him alive, she must uncover the truth before she’s either deported back to the Netherworld, or she becomes the next victim.

Enter Knight Vander, a sinfully attractive investigator sent from the Netherworld to work the case with Dulcie. Between battling her attraction to her self-appointed partner, keeping a sadomasochistic demon in check, and fending off the advances of a sexy and powerful vampire, Dulcie’s got her hands full. As the body count increases, Dulcie finds herself battling dark magic, reconnoitering in S&M clubs and suffering the greatest of all betrayals.

My Thoughts :

This author and this series has been on my radar for a very long time. I actually got a copy of this book a while ago but it never reached the top of my reading pile. So when I saw the book on Audible I decided it was time to give it a try. Listening to a book while walking to and from work is always good and I would finally get around to starting this series.

To Kill a Warlock is the debut Dulcie O'Neil book and it makes a great first impression. The start of the book had me giggling. No better way to introduce readers to a new character than to change her into an ugly green monster thing. Within a few chapters I was hooked and couldn't stop listening.

The idea the author has come up with is pretty original and her take on the paranormal world is relaxing and interesting. The plot was easy going but very addictive. I really liked the detective work which involved magic spells, visits to a S&M club and various supernatural characters.

To Kill A Warlock didn't feel like it was a debut and the author made a great start to the series. As the cover suggests this a fun book but it can also be serious when it needs to be. As self-published authors go this one gets an A star! I enjoyed the book so much that I already have the second book waiting for me on my ipod. I think I have found a new author to add to my must read list. Such a shame I didn't get to H.P. Mallory earlier rather than later! I have a lot of books to catch up on!

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Thanks for the recommendation Amber, I have been wanting to try this series as well.

Martha Eskuchen said...

This author has been on my radar too. I am pretty sure I have at least one title on my shelves - somewhere. :-) Glad to hear you liked this and recommend it.
Thanks.