Header Menu

Saturday, March 16, 2013

39) Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs

The Blurb :

Mercy Thompson’s life has undergone a seismic change. Becoming the mate of Adam Hauptman—the charismatic Alpha of the local werewolf pack—has made her a stepmother to his daughter Jesse, a relationship that brings moments of blissful normalcy to Mercy’s life. But on the edges of humanity, what passes for a minor mishap on an ordinary day can turn into so much more…

After an accident in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Mercy and Jesse can’t reach Adam—or anyone else in the pack for that matter. They’ve all been abducted.

Through their mating bond, all Mercy knows is that Adam is angry and in pain. With the werewolves fighting a political battle to gain acceptance from the public, Mercy fears Adam’s disappearance may be related—and that he and the pack are in serious danger. Outclassed and on her own, Mercy may be forced to seek assistance from any ally she can get, no matter how unlikely

My Thoughts :

I have been a fan of the Mercy Thompson series since it started. I remember seeing that first cover for Moon Called and knowing I had to read the book asap. Since then it has beena long ride of ups and downs but the coyote has stayed in my heart and on my must read list. So when this seventh book came out it was no wonder that I had it on pre-order.

As things began I was extremely interested in what was going to happen this time around. However as things progressed I found myself wondering a bit about all the events being talked about and the characters. Some of the people seemed familiar to me while others not as much. Some how I felt like I had missed something somewhere but then I realised it has been two years since there has been a new installment in this series! I wasn't missing anything, I was just out of sync with the series after such along break.

Despite Adam and practically the whole pack being gone for the first half of the book I didn't share Mercy's concerns. It was nice to have her back on her own again, using her resources and brains. Not taking orders or being packed up in cotton wool by Adam. Most of the fun about these female heroines is the amount of mess they manage to get in and how they get out of it again. Sure some of them are extremely blonde and get rewarded with a large amount of eye rolling but characters like Mercy are tough and kick-ass. These are characters you need to read about in action and not sitting on the sidelines waiting to be directed.

Things were slightly different this time around with the addition of a few chapters from Adam's perspective. I don't remember the perspective ever being changed in this series and at first I made a little groan. However it turned out to be good and showed some more insight to the relationship that Mercy now has. Instead of just seeing how she feels and acts because of her mate we got the chance to see Adam's side of things. It was refreshing.

Another change in the story was the ghost factor. It has been mentioned to us before that Mercy can see ghosts. This time around the subject took on a more interesting angle and saw Mercy finding out more about her ability. It could be a nice subject for the next book and I hope it is something the author continues to expand on. I likes me a little spooky ghost action.

All in all this was everything I have come to expect from this series. Wonderful characters and location mixed in with a very unique paranormal storyline that will hopefully continue to entertain me for a few more books. It does seem that Mercy is ready to settle down to a quieter life but I think she has another one or two books left in her. I can see a nice end in sight with her curled up with a couple of cubs. What really happens, well only time will tell.

Hopefully we won't have to wait so long for the next installment. This is a must read series and one that any Paranormal Urban Fantasy reader needs to be on top of.


Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



No comments: