Header Menu

Thursday, June 27, 2013

92) Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Jill Mansell

The Blurb :

Dexter Yates loves his fun, care-free London life; he has money, looks and girlfriends galore. But everything changes overnight when his sister dies, leaving him in charge of her eight-month-old daughter Delphi. How is he ever going to cope?

Comic-strip artist Molly Hayes lives in the beautiful Cotswold village of Briarwood. When it comes to relationships, she has a history of choosing all the wrong men. Leaving the city behind, Dex moves to Briarwood - a much better place to work on his parenting skills - and he and Molly become neighbours. There's an undeniable connection between them. But if Dexter's going to adapt, he first has a lot to learn about Molly, about other people's secrets...and about himself.

My Review :

We take a break from the usual paranormal delights to focus on a little secret enjoyment of mine.  Jill Mansell.  I have been reading her books ever since I came across them and it took me a while to track some of them down back in the day.  Now they have all been re-released and I think except one (which is still waiting for me on my bookshelf) I have read all of her books.

Yes it is Chick-lit and yes there is never any sign of anything supernatural but I still love the emotional rollercoaster ride that guides the reader through each story.  There are sad moments, happy times and some cringe worthy 'oh my god' episodes inside ever book.  I laugh and have been known to cry at some of the wonderful tales but most of all they make me feel good and warm.  Sounds soppy, doesn't it?

In this latest release from this delightful author, the focus is pointed on Dexter and then the residents of Briarwood.  A lovely British setting and some amazing characters pave the way through the story of love and the various curve balls life can throw at you.  The stories surrounding and involving all the characters develops with some nice surprises as well as some very shocking discoveries.  You can relate to the worries and problems as well as feeling good about the high moments.  By the end it works out well and usually everyone is happy.  Too cliche?  Not for me.  Just a well written story with a good realistic plot.

As long as Jill Mansell keeps writing these special stories, well I will keep reading them.  I am not a huge fan of Chick-lit but there are a few authors that are must reads for me.  So I hope you don't mind this non-paranormal interruption but I needed a fix and I got, as always, exactly what I wanted and needed from this great writer.

On a side note, the narrator on this audiobook was fantastic!  She really brought the characters to life and her I always knew which character was holding the reins.  It could have been confusing but she made it a perfect book to listen to.




  Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


Amberkatze's Book Blog

2 comments:

Angels With Attitude Book Reviews said...

I believe her books are catching on .I have several other friends who started reading her books of late.

Joelle @http://angelswithattitudebookreviews-joelle.blogspot.com

Aurian said...

Great review Amber, and why should you not be reading something not-paranormal? I used to love her books as well, and one day, I will read them again.