Header Menu

Saturday, July 27, 2013

105) Malice in Wonderland by H.P. Mallory

The Blurb :

A broken relationship, tarnished with lies and deceit,
A father who wants her dead,
And a shocking surprise that could rock the very foundation of everything she believes in...

Fairy and law enforcement agent, Dulcie O'Neil, has to face the fact that her father, the Head of the Netherworld, is also Public Enemy Number One. In joining a group of rebels who would see her father dethroned, Dulcie will realize just what it means to go against her own blood. Throw in her tattered relationship with Knight Vander and the shock of a lifetime and Dulcie's life just went from bad to worse.

My Thoughts :

The Dulcie O'Neil series has been my experience with author H.P. Mallory and I am beginning to wonder if it was a good place to start.  I have been following the series via audiobook and it seems that the company in charge of getting the books read are taking their time about it.  Book six (which I believe and hope is the last in the series) has been out for a while and still they only just managed to get book #5 onto Audible.  Yes, I could read the books instead, but I have really enjoyed listening to them and once you start listening to a series you just have to keep on.

Anyway, as you may have already guessed, I wasn't too pleased with this book.  After all the waiting and wondering I was left feeling quite disappointed.  The whole time I was listening to the book I felt like giving up and just forgetting about Dulcie and her problems.  Instead I kept going hoping things would be like the good old days again.  Where stuff actually happened and I didn't have to put up with Dulcie's ongoing brain chatter!

Don't get me wrong, there are a few things that happen in this book but it just wasn't enough.  The majority of the book was Dulcie examining everything, in long discussions, with herself, in her head.  It was tiring and boring.  Just going on and on about, maybe this and maybe that or it could mean this or should I do that...it was very close to giving me a headache and I am pretty sure I should have just fast forwarded through these moments and only listened to the 'real story'.

This fifth book was obviously a filler in to spread our things till the next book.  I could have done with some more action and a bit more advancement on the whole story/plot that has been developing and playing out since the beginning.  Why didn't I give up?  Because I already got this far and actually want to know what it all means and how it will all end.  I am sure I have a bit of a wait until book #6 makes an appearance on Audible and by then I may have forgotten just how much I didn't like this installment.  Hopefully the next book will be just as amazing as the first few.

What I am really looking forward to is this series finishing and being able to start another H.P. Mallory series.  I do believe they are quite good and despite my woes with Dulcie I can't wait to see what else the author has on offer.





  Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


Amberkatze's Book Blog




2 comments:

Aurian said...

Sorry you are disappointed in this Amber. I haven't read this author yet, so don't know if the 6th book will be better.

Mardel said...

It's sad when a series starts out interesting and then ends up seeming like...filler. I don't like to read passages and passages of discussions and endless questions either - especially if things don't get resolved. boring - I could just listen to myself argue with my husband and get the same effect. lol
;)